Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Woman Tells Boyfriend 'I Love You' As She's Beaten To Death, Authorities Say

Marc Audette allegedly told authorities he beat his girlfriend with a dumbell after he said the TV subliminally told him that "she was the devil and she was evil." 

By Jill Sederstrom
7 Facts about Domestic and Intimate Partner Sexual Violence

A Massachusetts woman continued to profess her love for her boyfriend, repeatedly uttering “I love you” as he allegedly beat her to death with a dumbbell, the man told police.

Marc Audette, 45, has been charged with murder in the death of Sandra Corfield, 53, after Audette called 911 on March 26 to report that he had killed his girlfriend, according to a report from the Massachusetts State Police obtained by the Cape Cod Times.

“I hit her in the head with a dumbbell,” he allegedly said on the call before also telling authorities he had stabbed himself with a sword.

When police arrived at the Mashpee home around 11:30 a.m., they found Audette lying on the floor of the condominium’s doorway and Corfield lying unresponsive with significant skull injuries.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to the report, Audette told police “I hurt my girlfriend” by hitting her “in the head a lot.”

He said the violent attack began when he was “watching TV and the TV subliminally told me that she was the devil and she was evil,” police alleged in the report. Audette allegedly old authorities he had been off his medication at the time.

As Cornfield was being attacked, Audette told police she continued to say “I love you” as he struck her.

Audette, who stabbed himself through the stomach and tried to cut his throat, was taken by MedFlight to an area hospital.

Audette was arraigned last Monday via video conference at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital on one count of murder, according to a statement from the Cape & Islands District Attorney’s office.

He was ordered held without bail and will be transported to a Department of Corrections facility once he is able to leave the hospital.

Corfield’s family has been devastated by the unexpected loss.

“She was an absolute angel and always thinking about others,” her mother, Eleanor, told The Lowell Sun.

The family told the local paper that Audette and Corfield had met about a year ago and that Audette was often at family events.

“I just can’t believe it,” Eleanor said.

Her family described Corfield as a natural artist and devoted aunt to her four nieces and nephews.

“Sandy was so nice,” her brother Eric Corfield told People. “She was just a real special individual.”

Corfield had overcome a battle with breast cancer and had seemed happy in her last year alive.

“My husband, Dave, of almost 50 years, passed away so all of this doubly hard. But Sandy’s with her dad now. That’s what’s getting me through,” Eleanor told People.

Read more about: