Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Family Of Woman Accused In Jennifer Dulos’ Murder Says Case Against Her Is An ‘Injustice’

"May 24 also marks the beginning of two years of injustice towards Michelle,” Michelle Troconis’ family wrote in a statement on the two-year anniversary of Jennifer Dulos’ disappearance.

By Dorian Geiger
Family Of Michelle Troconis Speaks Out In Dulos Case

On the two-year anniversary of Jennifer Dulos’ disappearance, the family of the woman accused in her murder issued a statement claiming she’s been wrongly accused. 

On Monday, two years to the day that Dulos vanished, Michelle Troconis' family described the case against her as an “injustice.”

"May 24 also marks the beginning of two years of injustice towards Michelle,” Michelle Troconis’ family wrote in a statement this week, according to the Stamford Advocate.

The statement added that the Troconis’ sympathized with Dulos’ family “while we wait to learn what might have happened to her.” Troconis’ family, however, said that the accused woman has been presumed guilty since the investigation’s early stages. 

"Michelle is an amazing woman, mother, daughter, sister, and friend, who has been treated unfairly, contrary to what the American Justice System is supposed to be about: ‘With freedom and justice for all!’" her family said in a statement this week. "Michelle has been treated as if she were guilty from day one, with police, investigators, the media, and members of the public ignoring the presumption of innocence that the United States Constitution claims to offer to all its citizens." 

Jennifer Dulos

Jennifer Dulos vanished from New Caanan after driving her children to school on May 24, 2019. Troconis was dating Dulos’ former husband Fotis Dulos at the time. Fotis Dulos, who was charged with murder and kidnapping in his estranged wife’s presumed death, was arrested in September 2019, according to an arrest warrant. Police suspect he fatally attacked Jennifer Dulos in her home’s garage.

Fotis Dulos died by suicide in January 2020 days after he poisoned himself with carbon monoxide.  

Fotis Dulos had insisted he was innocent up until his death. The Connecticut mother of five disappeared amidst the former couple's bitter custody battle .  

Investigators say Troconis helped Fotis Dulos craft an alibi related to his wife’s disappearance, the Stamford Advocate reported. They also also suspect Troconis helped clean a truck that may have used in Troconis’ murder.

Jennifer Dulos’ body has never been found. This month, a Connecticut judge ruled against declaring her legally dead, according to the Stamford Advocate.

Earlier this year, Connecticut State Police unsuccessfully scoured the property of Fotis Dulos’ former Farmington mansion in search of Jennifer Dulos' remains. The sprawling luxury estate is currently for sale, according to online listings.  

Last year, on the one-year anniversary of Dulos’ disappearance, Troconis issued a separate statement regarding the case. She said trusting Fotis Dulos was a “mistake” — and denied having any knowledge of Dulos’ whereabouts. 

“To those who are quick to judge people they do not know, let me say this: it is possible to misjudge others,” Troconis said in a statement obtained by NBC New York. “Whether or not Fotis Dulos was capable of doing the things the police and prosecutors accused him of doing, I do not know. But based on what I have learned in the last year, I think it was a mistake to have trusted him.”

Troconis was raised in Argentina and attended college in Venezuela. Her family has also claimed she’s innocent.

“My sister is innocent,” her sister Daniela Troconis previously told CBS’ 48 Hours. “[She] never would be capable of anything they’ve said that she has done.”

Troconis pleaded not guilty to Dulos’ murder and other charges she’s facing. She has been on house arrest since January 2020.

Troconis appeared in court this week for pre-trial proceedings. Her attorney, Jon Scoenhorn, requested the state remove a GPS ankle monitor and demanded prosecutors release additional evidence.

“If the delay, [caused by the pandemic] has benefited anybody, it has benefited the state because they continued to withhold discovery and documentation that I would have been entitled to in early 2020,” Schoenhorn said this week, the Stamford Advocate reported.

It's unclear when the case may head to trial.

Read more about: