Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Major League Baseball pitcher Trevor Bauer had a temporary order of protection taken out against him by an Ohio woman last year after she accused him of punching and choking her during sex without consent, according to The Washington Post.
The Post obtained sealed court records, photographs and a police report depicting the alleged 2017 incident between Bauer and the woman, who has not been identified. She took out a temporary restraining order against Bauer in June of 2020 after she alleged that she was repeatedly threatened by the pitcher.
The temporary order was issued ex-parte, meaning it was granted without taking into account Bauer’s version of events, and was ultimately dismissed by the woman six weeks later.
Bauer has denied the accusation in a statement on Twitter.
The star pitcher with the Los Angeles Dodgers is already on extended administrative leave by Major League Baseball amid an investigation into allegations of assault made by another California woman, who said she was choked until she passed out and punched in the face during several violent sexual encounters with Bauer.
The circumstances around that case have striking similarities to the latest allegations uncovered by The Post.
Westlake police had reportedly been called to Bauer’s Cleveland-area apartment around 2 a.m. on Aug. 6, 2017 after the pitcher called to report that “a friend of his” had assaulted him and refused to leave his home, according to an expunged police report obtained by the outlet.
Officers arrived to find an Ohio woman “heavily intoxicated” vomiting into the toilet. Bauer told police the woman had “struck him several times” and showed authorities scratches he had on his right arm.
The woman denied hitting Bauer and allegedly tried to show officers photos on her phone of herself with “red eyes” that she said she had gotten after Bauer had attacked her during sex on a separate occasion.
The photos, which were obtained by The Post, appeared to show the woman with blood in her eyes. Her attorney, Joseph Darwal, told The Post she remembered telling police that she had gotten the injuries after Bauer began choking her during sex, without her consent. It’s unclear whether police ever looked in to the allegations, but the woman was arrested for underage drinking. Although she was an adult, she was not legally old enough to drink.
Bauer’s co-agents Jon Fetterolf and Rachel Luba, denied that he had ever assaulted the woman and said she'd made an “unwanted and unsolicited visit” to his home and was “belligerent, heavily intoxicated and physically attacked” Bauer the night police were called.
Other images obtained by the paper showed the woman with dark bruising on her cheeks and around her eye. Her attorney said she sustained the injuries after Bauer allegedly choked her without her consent during another incident in 2018.
The newspaper also obtained text messages allegedly between the pair that seemed to illustrate a volatile relationship.
“I don’t feel like spending time in jail for killing someone,” Bauer allegedly wrote in one. “And that’s what would happen if I saw you again.”
Fetterolf has challenged the authenticity of that message and others obtained by the publication
The Ohio woman had allegedly drafted but never filed a civil suit against the baseball pitcher. She declined to speak to The Post.
Darwal said that, although she is cooperating with the MLB's investigation into Bauer, she had “no interest in coming forward” after seeing the backlash against Bauer’s accuser in California.
“However, once The Post reached out for comment regarding documents they received from third parties, she was left with no other choice but to come forward and confirm the documents they received,” he said.
After the article was published, Bauer spoke out against the newspaper’s account, saying the publication had attempted to contact “hundreds of female friends and acquaintances” in an effort to “create a false narrative.”
“Several of these individuals have sent me screenshots of their requests, many shared that they had only positive things to say, and others felt very uncomfortable or harassed by the nature of their requests,” he said in a statement on Twitter.
He also said that The Post had left out information his representatives had provided the outlet.
“Despite my representatives providing a wealth of contradictory evidence, documents, statements, and background information showing the pattern of disturbing behavior by this woman and her attorneys, The Washington Post opted to ignore much of this information and to run a salacious story disseminating defamatory statements, false information, and baseless allegations from a woman who has not only harassed and physically assaulted me but who has attempted to extort me for millions of dollars last year in exchange for her not coming forward with false claims,” he said in the statement.
His agents also released a statement of their own, saying that the woman had continued to “proactively” contact Bauer after he ended their casual, three-year “on-and-off” relationship in 2019. He said she had wanted to back together with the former Cy Young award winner.
“When he refused, she resorted to threats and filed a bogus protection petition as a ruse to demand millions of dollars,” his agents said.
At the time of the protection order, Fetterolf and Luba said Bauer had not had “any physical contact with the woman in over a year” and that all of the communications between them had been initiated by her. They alleged the woman attempted to extort $3.4 million from Bauer in exchange for her to “remain silent.”
“When Mr. Bauer, through counsel, refused her demands, and informed her that her conduct was nothing short of extortion, the woman withdrew her protection petition and found new counsel—her then employer—and threatened a lawsuit,” they said.
Darwal told The Post the woman took out the temporary retraining order to try to protect herself “against his continued vile threats against her body as well as to prevent him from disseminating photographs and videos of her.” According to her attorney, Bauer had allegedly threatened to send a video of the pair having sex to one of her family members.
The Pasadena Police Department is actively investigating Bauer in connection with the alleged incidents in California, People has reported.
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content.