Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View

O,J. Simpson Is A 'Completely Free Man' After Receiving Early Release From Parole

O.J. Simpson is released from parole two months early for good behavior after his 2008 armed robbery conviction.

Oj Simpson G

O.J. Simpson is now a “completely free man” after being granted an early release by the Nevada Parole Board.

Simpson’s parole was due to end in February, but the end date was moved up based on credits for good behavior and officially discharged on Dec. 1 after a parole hearing, Nevada State Police spokesman Kim Yoko Smith told the Associated Press.

"Mr. Simpson is a completely free man now," said Malcolm LaVergne, Simpson's lawyer in Las Vegas told the AP.

The former NFL star served nine years in prison after being convicted of armed robbery in 2008.  Simpson was among a group of men — two armed with guns — who raided a hotel and casino to steal sports memorabilia in 2007.

The Hall of Famer has steadfastly maintained that he was only trying to retrieve what belonged to him.

But Bruce Fromong, one of two dealers targeted in the robbery, testified that Simpson took items that had nothing to do with him or his storied career as a running back  including lithographs of legendary NFL quarterback Joe Montana, according to NBC News.

Before he was released from prison in 2017, Simpson told the parole board that he wanted to move to Florida, but he ended up living in a gated community in Las Vegas, according to AP.

It’s unclear if Simpson, now 74, plans to stay in Las Vegas or move to Miami, where he has his home.

Ronald Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson

Simpson’s once famed career as an actor and football commentator ended after he was charged with the 1995 murders of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman.

He was acquitted in 1995 after what had been dubbed “The Trial of the Century," during which he was represented by a so-called “Dream Team” of attorneys that included the now-deceased Johnnie Cochran and F. Lee Bailey. The trial received intense media coverage and the not guilty verdict divided the nation, exposing sharp racial divisions. 

In 1997, he was found civilly liable for both murders and ordered to pay the victims’ families more than $33 million in damages.

LaVergne said in June that Simpson would continue to fight court orders that he owned $60 million in judgements because of the 1994 murders, according to AP.

He told AP in a 2019 interview on the 25th anniversary of the murders that he never discusses the subject of the murders or his trial with his children.

“We don’t need to go back and relive the worst day of our lives,” he said. “The subject of the moment is the subject I will never revisit again. My family and I have moved on to what we call the ‘no negative zone.’ We focus on the positives.”

Simpson, while typically active on Twitter, has not yet commented publicly on his new status.

Related

Crime News is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet