Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

'Person Of Interest' Identified In Case Of Dead Toddler Evelyn Mae Boswell, Authorities Say

Megan Boswell, the mother of the 15-month-old found dead on a relative's property, remains in custody on charges of providing false statements to authorities, but no one has been officially charged with the toddler's death.

By Daniel Egitto
Remains Found In Case Of Missing Toddler Evelyn Mae Boswell

Two months after discovering the dead body of toddler Evelyn Mae Boswell on a relative’s property, investigators say they are making progress on the case.

Tennessee authorities have now identified a “person of interest” in the case — although they are not ready to release that person's identity, Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Joey Strickler told local outlet WJHL on Wednesday.

This announcement came just days before the scheduled arraignment of the toddler’s mother and legal guardian, 18-year-old Megan "Maggie" Boswell.

Boswell is being held on a $150,000 bond for allegedly giving investigators false information related to this case, the Bristol Herald Courier, a local newspaper, reports.

Her Friday hearing was held over video conference and live-streamed on Facebook. However, Prosecutor Teresa Nelson asked for the arraignment to be pushed back to a later date, since her team is still reviewing more than 25 hours of interviews authorities conducted with Boswell.

The delay in reviewing evidence meant that Boswell’s case could not be submitted to a grand jury. The judge agreed to reschedule the arraignment for June 19.

Maggie Boswell Pd

Boswell’s 15-month-old daughter was reported missing by her grandfather on Feb. 18, the Knoxville News Sentinel, a Tennessee newspaper, reports. However, she reportedly had not been seen since Dec. 26, according to an Amber Alert that went out the next day.

When asked about her daughter’s disappearance, Boswell allegedly gave many conflicting statements, some of which contained false information, the Sheriff’s Office said in a news release.

“Every time we talk to her, her story changes,” Sheriff Jeff Cassidy told the News Sentinel. “I am serious when I say that. Every time.”

Boswell was arrested on Feb. 25 and charged with providing false reports.

Meanwhile, Evelyn’s grandmother Angela Boswell and her boyfriend William McCloud were arrested in North Carolina on Feb. 21 for allegedly having stolen the car they were driving at the time of their arrest, the News Sentinel reported.

At that time, Evelyn's whereabouts were still unknown, but Megan Boswell had indicated to authorities that the child was with Angela at a campground in Virginia.

Finally, on March 6, investigators discovered the toddler’s dead body in a shed on a property shared by Boswell’s father, mother and brother, the Richmond Times-Dispatch, a Virginia newspaper, reported.

Evelyn Mae Boswell Pd

The child was wearing the “exact” clothing she was reported to be wearing in the Amber Alert, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigations said, according to the paper. Investigators also found some of the toddler’s diapers, other clothes and toys in the outbuilding.

Three weeks after this discovery, Angela Boswell— who had been released from jail on bond — was arrested again, this time on charges of burglary.

Surveillance footage allegedly showed her and another man, Larry Fields, entering a mobile home near Kingsport, Tennessee, and walking out with two televisions, guns, and various tools, according to the News-Sentinel.

The mobile home belonged to the Angela's parents, a captain at the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office told the paper.

Angela Boswell was arrested, with officials alleging she was found carrying a counterfeit $50 bill and a bag of what appeared to be crystal meth. She was charged with burglary, theft, possession of counterfeit money and bringing drugs into a penal facility, according to the paper.

Megan and Angela Boswell are both currently being held at the Sullivan County Jail, a spokesperson confirmed with Oxygen.com.

No one has yet been charged with the toddler’s death.