Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Police Arrest Man Suspected Of Killing TikTok Star Mama Tot's Son

A man named Reuben Gulley has been arrested for the June murder of Randon Lee in Alabama. Lee is the son of Ophelia Nichols, a well known TikToker who goes by "Mama Tot."

By Jill Sederstrom
A police handout of Reuben Gulley

TikTok star Ophelia “Mama Tot” Nichols is opening up about the recent arrest of her son’s suspected killer in a new video, saying that she was “grateful, but not happy” about the development.

Reuben Gulley, 20, turned himself in to authorities Thursday afternoon in connection with the fatal shooting of Nichol’s son, 18-year-old Randon Lee, WALA reports.

“I’m getting 100 messages saying you must be so happy right now and I am not. I am not happy,” Nichols said in the emotional video.

Nichols said she realized she was not the only one to have been hurt by the tragedy.

“When I seen that mug shot last night, I thought to myself, ‘My goodness, he’s just a baby. He’s just a baby,’” she said.

“There’s now two families that are hurting,” she said. “There’s two of us."

Nichols said she also read comments posted from Gulley’s teachers, who described the 20-year-old as being “a lovely young man.”

“I bet he was,” she said. “That just made me think, within 11 seconds, he made a decision to just throw his life away."

"And there’s one thing he and my baby child had in common and that was that they both have a mother who would do absolutely anything for them, she added. "I’m sure they have that in common.”

Lee was gunned down June 24 at a gas station in Prichard, Alabama after one of two men from another car got into his vehicle and opened fire. The victim then tried to flee the scene by driving to another gas station across the street, where he died.

Prichard Police said at a press conference shortly after the shooting that they believe Lee had gone to the gas station to sell marijuana.

It’s not clear whether authorities believe Gulley pulled the trigger or served as the getaway driver.

Nichols said she was struck by the notion that “neither one of our children should have been there that night” and expressed sympathy for Gulley’s family.

Nichols also mentioned that faced “terrible comments” about her son after his death and said she hoped Gulley’s mother would not be forced to suffer the same fate.

“I thought last night, ‘Lord, I hope she don’t go through that, cause I don’t wish that on anybody,” she said. “That was really hard for me.”

Nichols said she was still grateful, however, that her son’s suspected killer is now behind bars.

“I know it’s going to be a long road to justice and I hope it’s done right, as it should,” she said, adding that there are also other families in Prichard who are still yearning for justice they’ve never received.

In a follow up video, Nichols said that, although she was aware that a warrant had been issued for Gulley’s arrest about a week and a half before he turned himself in, she discovered he had been taken into custody by a reporter before the detective was able to call her a few minutes later.

Nichols also criticized social media influencers for turning her son’s death into entertainment.

“My baby child’s life isn’t a funny gossip story that happened in a funny small town a month ago that we can laugh about it today or one of my nosey stories that I say,” she said. “This is my child’s life and my child was murdered.”

Gulley is expected to be in court Tuesday for his arraignment.

Oxygen.com reached out to Prichard Police and the Mobile County District Attorney’s Office to learn more about the arrest but did not receive an immediate response.

Read more about: