Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Ron Jeremy Rape Case Paused As He's Ordered To Undergo Psych Evaluation
Ron Jeremy’s defense lawyer Stuart Goldfarb told a judge that the adult film star didn't recognize him as he tried to prepare him for a hearing regarding the sprawling sexual assault case against him, which involves 21 alleged victims.
Adult film star Ron Jeremy’s serial rape case has been paused as he has appeared incoherent, so much so that he allegedly didn’t recognize his own attorney.
“I was just up in the cell where he was being kept, and I tried to get his attention unsuccessfully,” Jeremy’s defense lawyer Stuart Goldfarb told a Los Angeles court on Thursday, Rolling Stone reports. “He was unable to determine who I was and wouldn’t accommodate both myself and the bailiff to fit into the wheelchair to come down here. I don’t think he should be forced to come down here under these circumstances.”
Goldfarb’s comments came directly before what was supposed to be a hearing regarding a sprawling case against Jeremy, 69, involving 21 alleged victims. The adult film star, whose real name is Ron Jeremy Hyatt, was indicted last year on more than 30 counts of sexual assault. He faces 12 counts of forcible rape, seven counts of forcible oral copulation, six counts of sexual battery by restraint, four counts of sexual penetration by a foreign object, two counts of sexual penetration of an unconscious or asleep person and one count each of lewd act upon a child under the age of 14 or 15, sodomy by use of force and assault with intent to commit rape. The alleged victims range in age from 15 to 51 and the crimes span more than two decades, beginning in 1996.
After Goldfarb expressed his concerns on Thursday, a bailiff echoed the lawyer's sentiment, telling the court that Jeremy was “incoherent” and “not obeying commands.”
In turn, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge George Lomeli paused the proceedings and ordered Jeremy to undergo a competency evaluation on April 1, Law&Crime reports.
Another hearing has been scheduled for April 19 to review the results of that evaluation and to give a status on the case as a whole.
Jeremy has previously petitioned for 21 separate trials, one for each alleged victim, rather than one trial for all. If convicted, Jeremy's sentence could exceed 300 years, NBC News previously reported.
The porn star, who was arrested in 2020, denied allegations that he had sexually assaulted women to Rolling Stone in 2017, when allegations began to surface.
“If anyone was ever made to feel uncomfortable by ANY of our interactions, I’m deeply sorry,” he wrote in a statement at the time. “That was never my intention and it breaks my heart in half.”