Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News

Newborn Delivered After Pregnant Mom Was Mysteriously Gunned Down On Chicago Porch Has Died

Stacey Jones, 35, was eight months pregnant when she was shot to death on the porch of her Chicago home earlier this month.

By Dorian Geiger
7 Statistics About Shootings Incidents in America

A newborn boy delivered after his pregnant mother was shot to death on her porch in Chicago died has died after four days in the hospital.

Stacey Jones, a 35-year-old probation officer, was eight months pregnant when she was gunned down by an unknown assailant on Oct. 13. Medical staff were able to deliver her newborn boy, who remained in critical condition at Comer Children's Hospital for a number of days following his mother’s death.

The child, named “Baby Boy Harrison,” however, was pronounced dead on Oct. 17, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

“Detectives are conducting a homicide investigation for both victims,” Kellie Bartoli, a spokesperson for the Chicago Police Department, told Oxygen.com.

In the days following Jones' death, however, authorities have struggled to pinpoint any suspects.

Last week, Chicago Police questioned a possible person of interest in the shooting but released the unidentified individual without pressing charges.

Stacey Jones

“The person placed in custody in relation to this investigation has been released without charging at this time,” a police spokesperson previously told Oxygen.com. “The case remains open and under investigation.”

The letters “KKK” were reportedly found spray-painted on the side of Jones’ South Side home in the aftermath of the apparent slaying, however, police were quick to acknowledge there didn’t appear to be a racial motive in the mother’s murder. 

“At this time, based on information and additional evidence gathered by detectives, we do not believe this crime was racially motivated or a random act,” Bartoli also said.

Jones, a mother of three, is originally from Tennessee, according to ABC affiliate WLS-TV. Friends who knew the 35-year-old remembered her as an energetic, bubbly, and loving parent.

"I just saw her Friday, and she was telling me how happy she was that she was about to have a baby," Nicholas Minor, a friend and colleague, told the outlet. "Stacey was a very perky person, you know, always had a smile every morning coming to work. Every day, every time I saw her she'd say, 'Hi Nick!'" 

Jones worked as a probation officer in Chicago.

“Our thoughts go out to her family, colleagues and friends at this difficult time,” Cook County Chief Judge Timothy Evans said in a memo to court employees, WSL-TV previously reported. “I just really hope that this case gives the justice that it deserves, because the world is missing a fantastic person.”

Jones’ family, who were clinging to hope that her newborn will pull through, are now mourning the loss of a child they never got to know. 

Anyone with information related to Jones’ killing is urged to call Chicago Police Department detectives at 312-747-8271 or submit a tip anonymously to CPDTip.com.