Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Musician Travis Scott has broken his silence following his deadly Astroworld concert last month, claiming that he was unaware of the mayhem unfolding around him.
In a sit-down interview with Charlamagne Tha God, posted on the radio host’s YouTube channel on Thursday, Scott claimed that his visibility from the stage was limited and that he “didn’t hear” anyone in distress. Charlamagne Tha God brought up online criticism that he ignored cries for help during the Nov. 5 concert in Houston, Texas. Several videos have since circulated showing people screaming for him to stop performing.
“You can only help what you can see and whatever you’re told, whenever they tell you to stop, you stop,” Scott responded. “It’s so crazy ’cause I’m that artist, too. Anytime you can hear something like that, you want to stop the show, you want to make sure fans get the proper attention they need. Anytime I could see anything like that, I did.”
He denied that he encouraged chaos or for anyone to rush the stage before a deadly crowd surge caused ten deaths, including that of a 9-year-old boy named Ezra Blount.
“It’s been a lot of thoughts, a lot of feelings, a lot of grieving,” he said in the interview, in which he remained mostly stoic. “Just trying to wrap my head around it. I really just want to be there. Wish you could just hold everyone, talk to them, have conversations… It hurts.”
Scott said that the event had felt “just like a regular show” and that he wants to be “a voice” for the people who perished. He said that he only knew that people had died “minutes before” a press conference about the deadly incident.
This week, the Houston Chronicle reported that a Houston law firm demanded a $10 billion resolution on behalf of at least 1,500 victims of the Astroworld Festival. Civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who represented George Floyd’s family, filed a lawsuit on Blount’s behalf against organizers of Astroworld last month, a spokesperson for the lawyer confirmed to Oxygen.com via email last month.
"The lawsuit alleges negligence in a great number of aspects, including crowd control, failure to provide proper medical attention, hiring, training, supervision, and retention," stated Crump. "The lawsuit names Scoremore Mgmt, Live Nation Entertainment, Travis Scott, Cactus Jack Records, and others as defendants. The lawsuit filing will allow independent experts commissioned by the legal team to access the roped-off crime scene at the festival."
Scott has denied any legal responsibilities for the tragedy, according to court documents filed by Scott’s legal team and obtained by CNN.
Crime News is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content.