Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Michigan Man Allegedly Kidnapped Online Date And Held Her Captive For Three Weeks

"I haven’t been home for over a month," Kaila McCleary said. “This whole thing has been horrific.”

By Dorian Geiger
Michigan Man Allegedly Held Online Date Hostage For Weeks

A convicted murderer abducted a Michigan mother on their second date and held her hostage for nearly a month, authorities say.

Kaila McCleary, 24, needed 17 stitches and had bruises across her body after allegedly being kidnapped and held against her will by Trevor Double at his home in Bangor Township.

Double, 45, was charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm, as well as burglary, county jail records show.

McCleary and Double met on the dating app MeetMe, according to a Van Buren County Sheriff’s incident report obtained by Oxygen.com. The pair, who were communicating for approximately three weeks, had gone on a single date in-person date, McCleary said.

"I haven’t been home for over a month," Kaila McCleary told WWMT. “This whole thing has been horrific..."I didn’t know what his intention was.”

In April, McCleary said, Double came to her home unannounced and invited her for breakfast. Instead, McCleary claims she was forcibly confined at Double’s home in Bangor Township for several weeks where she was repeatedly abused.

Trevor Double Pd

In one terrifying incident, he threatened to "bury" a hatchet in McCleary's neck after he accused her of cheating on him and "talking to other guys."

“He told her if she kept lying to him, he would bury the hatchet in her neck,” the incident report stated. 

"I was lying on the edge of the bed with my feet up trying to block my face and he was whacking me in the legs,” McCleary told WWMT. 

McCleary also accused Double of pummeling her with his fists, attacking her with a knife, and beating her with cell phones while trapped at his home.

“At one point, he dragged me by my hair and beat me with an iron,” McCleary added.

Double threatened to murder her on several occasions — and warned he'd harm her 8-year-old son if she ever approached police, according to the incident report.

"When I told him I wanted to leave, he would beat on me more," McCleary said. "I remember a few times, standing there when he was asleep, and just questioning, like, 'Should I go outside and try to get away? What should I do?'"

At one point, McCleary attempted escaping Double by leaping from a moving vehicle. 

On May 7, McClearly said Double took her to a hospital in Paw Paw to have her injuries treated. She said she begged hospital staff to help her.

"I told the doctor, 'Please don’t let me leave with him,” McCleary said. “He’s going to kill me." 

Investigators later executed a search warrant at Double’s Bangor Township home. Bloody gauze, a box of wound dressing, and a broken cell phone, which detectives suspect was used to assault McCleary, were seized from the home according to a copy of the warrant obtained by Oxygen.com

Law enforcement circulated images of Double at area hotels, as well as homeless camps. He was taken into custody after he was spotted by a hotel employee in Kalamazoo.

County authorities said McCleary was lucky to have survived the ordeal. 

“Over and over you see the national stories about incidents like this ending with someone losing their life,” Van Buren County Sheriff Daniel Abbott told Oxygen.com. “You see the stories over and over about meeting individuals on dating sites going bad. Here is another one to add to that list. I truly wish the victim was never put in the situation she was in nor had to endure the abuse she did. I’m confident justice will take place as it should and I pray for her and her family to recover from this.”

Double has an extensive criminal record. He has open cases in several surrounding counties, according to online jail records. He was out on bond at the time of the alleged abduction. In 2004, Double was convicted of manslaughter in Kalamazoo County, according to court records. 

Double is scheduled to appear in district court in South Haven, Michigan on June 2. He’s being held on an $800,000 bail, according to online jail records. It’s unclear if he’s retained legal representation.

Read more about: