Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

'I Wasn't Wrong': Vanessa Guillen's Sister Said She Met Solider Suspected In Her Disappearance

"I felt something was telling me that he did something, and I wasn't wrong apparently," Mayra Guillen said.

By Connor Mannion
Pfc. Vanessa Guillen Goes Missing From Texas Military Base

The sister of a missing Army private said she previously met the unidentified soldier suspected in her disappearance — who ended up dying by suicide after being confronted by police this week.

Pfc. Vanessa Guillen, 20 and stationed at Texas' Fort Hood, vanished in April — prompting an outcry from her loved ones and months of investigation. Now a set of remains have been found following an extensive search and a solider suspected in her disappearance is dead of suicide, according to CNN.

Although the solider's identity has not been released, Guillen's family said they knew the man and were suspicious of him after meeting him.

"When I first went up to that base, that subject, I met him, not knowing that he had something to do with it. I felt something was telling me that he did something, and I wasn't wrong apparently," her sister Mayra Guillen said in a Wednesday press conference, according to CNN. "And apparently now, he kills himself. Why? I don't know."

However, the family affirmed they won't rest until justice is served.

"But whoever is responsible has to pay, and we demand a congressional investigation," she added.

Early Wednesday, U.S. Marshals, Killeen Police, and the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force located the unidentified soldier suspected in Guillen's disappearance, Army officials said, according to CNN. He had left his Fort Hood post.

"The suspect was located walking in the 4700 block of East Rancier Avenue and as officers attempted to make contact with the suspect, the suspect produced a weapon and committed suicide by shooting himself," the Killeen Police Department said in a news release. "The person of interest was an active duty soldier and his name has been withheld pending notification next of kin through the Army Casualty Assistance Office."

Another suspect, an unidentified civilian woman, has also been taken into custody in connection with Guillen's disappearance, according to CNN.

Partial remains were found Tuesday in the search for Guillen. The remains were buried in a shallow grave along the Leon River, but officials have not confirmed the remains are hers, according to KBTX.

However, Guillen's family have said they believe the remains are hers and Army officials have said they believe "foul play" is at hand in her disappearance.

Prior to her disappearance, Guillen had confided in her mother that she was being sexually harassed by a sergeant and no longer felt safe on the base. The family has maintained that military officials did not take their concerns seriously after Guillen disappeared.