Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Mother Of California Man Accused In Stabbing Death Of Ex-Girlfriend Implies To Court He Confessed To Killing
Claudia Gutierrez told the court she warned her son, Victor Sosa, to turn himself in if he is guilty of the deadly stabbing of Daisy Delao in February.
A mother testified against her accused killer son in a California court this week, telling prosecutors that he'd indicated he is guilty of the fatal stabbing of his ex-girlfriend earlier this year.
Victor Sosa, 25, is accused of killing 19-year-old Daisy Delao during a knife attack in February. Sosa pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder charges. On Tuesday, an L.A. County judge ruled there’s probable cause for a trial.
On Feb. 23, Delao’s body was found in an alley by police behind a Compton apartment building near Long Beach Boulevard. A bloody kitchen blade was discovered nearby. Delao’s cause of death was listed as multiple sharp force injuries, according to Los Angeles County Medical Examiner-Coroner records.
Sosa allegedly fled to Mexico following Delao’s murder. He was arrested on July 2 after several sleuths on TikTok and Instagram tracked him to Rosarito, Mexico where he was working under a new identity at Papas & Beer nightclub.
This week, investigators appeared in court to testify about the macabre crime scene.
"There was a substantial amount of blood on her face and there was a large laceration in her neck below the chin," Detective Leo Sanchez told the court, according to KABC-TV. "Probably four to six inches."
Delao’s grandfather told investigators Sosa was seen looking through the family’s apartment window before the attack. However, Sosa’s attorney, Andrew Jeremiah Bane, questioned the credibility of the man’s eyewitness testimony.
A 13-year-old boy also testified he saw Sosa at the scene of the murder.
Claudia Gutierrez, Sosa’s mother, also implicated her son in Delao’s slaying while under questioning by prosecutors.
"What did you ask him," Deputy District Attorney Leslie Hinshaw asked Gutierrez in the courtroom.
"If he had done it. If he'd committed the crime," Gutierrez said she'd asked her son. "He just bowed his head down."
The California mother told prosecutors she had advised Sosa to do the right thing and turn himself in.
Delao’s family members attended the court hearing this week and spoke to the press amid the proceedings.
"I hope he remembers my daughter's face every single minute of his life," Susana Salas, Delao’s mother, told KABC-TV. "I hope he rots in jail and never hurts nobody else.”
Salas indicated that she was relieved the case will proceed to trial but said the decision marked a bittersweet moment for her family.
"He took a part of my soul and I can never get it back until I reunite with her again," Salas said. "I smile and I go through the motions of life, but I always have that empty space in me, always. And I can never get it back, never."
Sosa is scheduled to appear back in Compton Superior Court on Sept. 21, according to online jail records.
Bayne, Sosa’s public defender, wasn’t immediately available for comment when contacted by Oxygen.com on Thursday.
Investigators are urging anyone with additional information related to Delao’s murder to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500 or by submitting an anonymous tip to the Crime Stoppers tip line by calling at 800-222-8477.