Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Man Allegedly Stabs Mom 21 Times Over An Inheritance That Doesn't Exist

Before she died, Vickie Edge desperately tried to settle down her son Vinson, who was allegedly wielding two kitchen knives, telling him “she would get his non-existent inheritance money,” according to the affidavit.  

By M.L. Nestel

A man who reportedly had schizophrenia and was off his meds allegedly used two kitchen knives to slash his mother to death for refusing to give him an inheritance that didn’t exist. 

Vinson Edge, 39, was brought into custody on Monday evening after getting shot in the leg in downtown Indianapolis.

The shooting came a day after Speedway Police Department officers responded to a call reporting his mother's fatal stabbing.

When they arrived to an apartment at around 9:30 p.m. on Oct. 13, they were met by Vinson Edge’s brother, who was outside the complex clenching a baseball bat, according to an affidavit obtained by Oxygen.com.

The brother told cops that Vinson had stabbed their mother, 58-year-old Vickie Edge.

Police found Vickie’s lifeless body inside the apartment. A medical examiner's autopsy would later confirm the woman died of sharp force trauma and counted a total of 21 lacerations to her head, neck, hands, arms and upper body, according to The Indianapolis Star

The brother claimed Vinson allegedly became unnerved after his mother had returned from a friend’s retirement mixer in Gary, Indiana. 

Vinson Edge Pd

Two hours later, she was set to leave the apartment she shared with her sons to spend time with her boyfriend.

That’s when the brother said Vinson rose from the couch, blocked her in the hallway, and “demanded she give him his inheritance,” according to the affidavit. 

The brother, who was washing dishes, presumed that Vinson was simply joking because the family wasn’t wealthy, but he told police he soon realized Vinson was “being serious,” according to the court papers. 

The brother said Vinson then “forcefully” grabbed his mother but she managed to fight him off, according to the document.

Vinson allegedly warned his family, “Ya’ll think I’m playing,” before leaving momentarily and returning with a frying pan he’d fetched from the kitchen counter.

Both the mother and brother tried to soothe Vinson's temper, but he was inconsolable; he allegedly started to “tussle” with his brother, shoving him onto the couch and socking him on his jaw.

At one point Vickie desperately appealed to her son to calm down and even told him “she would get his non-existent inheritance money,” according to the affidavit. 

But Vinson apparently wasn’t convinced. He allegedly went back to the kitchen and charged out of there with “two large kitchen knives, one in each hand.”

Again, the brother said he attempted to “shield his mother” but claimed Vinson managed to “thrust one of the knives passed him,” according to the document. 

The brother told police he then tried to grab hold of both blades and suffered several gashes as a result. 

He said he pleaded with Vinson, “Not in front of the kids,” and for a brief moment, Vinson allegedly appeared to stand down, telling his brother, “OK bro, push them toward the room.”

The brother claimed he escorted his 2-year-old daughter and 7-year-old niece out of the house and returned with a baseball bat only to see Vinson had already fled.

Cops caught up to Vinson the following day at Eskenazi Hospital, where he had been treated for the gunshot wound to his leg. 

He had been shot at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 14, one day after the stabbing of his mother, according to details released by the Indianapolis Police Department. 

The gunman who allegedly shot Vinson was identified as Terry Brown, 52, a longtime boyfriend of Vickie's, according to Fox station WXIN

“They had a prior history with each other,” a spokesman for the Speedway Police Department told Oxygen.com.

Brown faces aggravated assault and battery with a deadly weapon charges, police said. 

Meanwhile, Vinson was booked in Marion County for the murder of his mother, according to the affidavit.

The brother explained to investigators that Vinson was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and had quit taking his medication and stopped drinking or smoking marijuana about a month ago. 

The brother also pointed out that up until Sunday night, Vinson had never been violent. However, he did notice the man acting “very strange” after he stopped taking his medication.

Samantha Riley, who is married to Vickie's nephew, told WIXN they lost the “heartbeat of the family.”

She suspects that Vinson erupted without any provocation.

“... There was no argument,” Riley said. “It just happened out of the blue.”

Once under arrest, Vinson refused to talk to detectives without a lawyer present.