Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Judge Tells 30-Year-Old Man To Get Out Of Parents' House After Living Rent-Free
Michael Rotondo's parents turned to court after he ignored repeated requests to move out.
A 30-year-old New York man is packing his bags and leaving his parent's home — because a judge said so.
Judge Donald Greenwood on Tuesday ordered Michael Rotondo to vacate his childhood bedroom in his parent's Camillus home.
Rotondo's parents, Christina and Mark Rotonda, took the unusual step of turning to the court after their son ignored repeated requests to move out. In court, Michael Rotondo argued that he was entitled to six months notice, a point Greenwood explained only applied to landlord-tenant contracts.
Rotondo has been living at his parent's home for the past eight years and does not pay rent. In his early twenties, he lived in his own apartment for a period of a year before moving back in with his parents.
Rotondo's parents first asked him to leave in February in a note. It read:
“Michael, After a discussion with your Mother, we have decided you must leave this house immediately. You have 14 days to vacate. You will not be allowed to return. We will take whatever actions are necessary to enforce this decision.”
Rotondo didn’t comply and the notes kept coming. One note included $1,100 and offered help to find him an apartment. Another suggested he sell some of his belongings for cash.
"This is especially true for any weapons you may have," that note said, according to Syracuse.com. "You need the money and will have no place for the stuff."
The parents filed an official eviction petition May 7.
"I just wanted a reasonable amount of time to vacate, with consideration to the fact that I was not really prepared to support myself at the time of the notices," the son told reporters after the court date.
Rotondo said he plans to appeal the decision, which he has called outrageous. He told reporters that he isn't jobless and runs an online business, but wouldn't elaborate. When asked outside the courtroom, he replied, "My business is my business.”
Rotondo was once employed by Best Buy, which he later sued for alleged gender discrimination, according to federal court documents. Rotondo, who is a single parent of a son, claimed he was promised he wouldn’t have to work on Halloween in 2015 and that he was reprimanded and eventually terminated when he didn’t show up that day.
“Other single parents who were females were not treated the same way that I was,” he claimed. He demanded $338,500 in damages. It is not clear if that lawsuit was ever resolved. Rotondo lost custody of his son last year, according to The New York Post.
As for that $1,100 from his parents, Rotondo said it's already gone.
"I had to spend it and I'm not sorry about it," he told reporters after his appearance in court.
Reuters contributed to this story.
[Photo: Getty Images]