Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Investigators Baffled How Body Of Missing Mom Turned Up In Icy Lake Michigan, Hundreds Of Miles From Her Home

Five days after Amanda Hanover vanished from her home in Michigan, a person flying a kite near Lake Michigan's Wisconsin shore spotted her body.

By Gina Tron

Five days after she was last seen alive, the body of a missing mother of two was found in icy Lake Michigan hundreds of miles away from home and now investigators are trying to piece together her mysterious death.

The body of Amanda Hanover, 39, was discovered on Saturday in the lake, not far from a Wisconsin shore, according to the Detroit Free Press. Her body, strewn across some shoreline rocks, was spotted by a person who was flying a kite in a park, located in Kenosha, according to the Kenosha News.

It’s not yet clear how Hanover died.

"My heart goes out to Amanda Hanover's family," Lt. James Beller of the Kenosha Police Department said after the discovery of her remains. "This is never an easy time."

Hanover, a resident of Kalamazoo County, Michigan, was last seen by family members on March 18.

Her vehicle was later located unoccupied in the city of Kenosha, Wisconsin, her cellphone still inside the car, according to police in Kenosha. Hanover has no ties to Kenosha, according to the Detroit Free Press, a fact that is baffling investigators.

It takes about three and a half hours by car to get from Hanover's home in Kalamazoo to Kenosha - a distance of about 220 miles apart.

This isn’t the first time Hanover vanished and showed up in a different state.

Amanda Hanover

Last year she went missing from Arizona, where she lived at the time, and her car was found a month later in Canada, while Hanover herself was located in New York State, KTAR reported.

When she was found after that ordeal, she reportedly told investigators she couldn't remember her own name.

Her mother told a CTV News Calgary that Hanover suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder after a violent attack.

While police are still investigating Hanover’s death, it does not appear that they suspect foul play was involved.