Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

California Woman Allegedly Threatened To Blow Up Church During Easter Service, While Holding 10-Month-Old Baby And Gun

Anna Conkey was booked on charges of “making criminal threats and displaying a handgun in a threatening manner,” according to San Diego police.

By Ethan Harfenist

A San Diego woman was arrested on Easter Sunday after she allegedly made threats to blow up a church while holding an infant and a handgun.

The San Diego Police Department received numerous 911 calls at around noon on Sunday “regarding a female holding a baby and gun during church services” at the non-denominational Church TsidKenu, according to a police news release.

Officers showed up at the church within two minutes of the first call and took the woman, identified as 31-year-old Anna Conkey, into custody.

“Prior to San Diego Police officers arriving on scene, church members approached the female and disarmed her,” the department said. The gun wasn't loaded.

Afterward, police said they swept the facility and Conkey’s car for explosives using a bomb detection dog; nothing was found.

The department also said that in addition to the 10-month-old baby at the scene, Conkey’s 5-year-old daughter “was located during a follow-up and was found to be healthy and unhurt.” Both children have since been taken into protective custody.

Churchgoer Ronald Farmer said Conkey seemed delusional.

“I was more worried about getting my family out of there,” he told CNN.

The leader of the congregation, Ben Wisan, said Conkey was a familiar face to church members, however.

"We know who she was," he told local outlet KSWB. "She had been coming on and off for a little bit of time."

Conkey, who is being held at the Las Colinas Detention Facility for women, was booked on charges of  resisting an officer, reporting a false bomb threat, child cruelty, possessing a firearm in a school zone, robbery and assault with a firearm, among other charges, according to online jail records.

The San Diego incident occurred the same day nine bombings of churches, hotels and other locations claimed the lives of more than 200 people in Sri Lanka, according to The Associated Press.

San Diego Police Chief David Nisleit on Sunday tweeted that his department was monitoring the situation in Sri Lanka.

“At this time, there is nothing to indicate a connection to San Diego,” he wrote.

Read more about: