An elementary school volunteer facing 107 counts of child sex abuse allegedly told investigators he had a "lapse in judgment" during the suspected abuse.
Antonio Francisco Marquez, 41, stands accused of using at least three girls under the age of 14 to make child pornography between Oct. 2015 and May 2018, according to KPTV.
The Oregon-based Army recruiter is facing 26 counts of first-degree sex abuse, 35 counts of using a child in a display of sexually explicit conduct, 44 counts of child porn or encouraging a sexual abuse in the second degree and two counts of first-degree sodomy.
He has pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him.
Marquez was initially charged with six counts of first-degree sex abuse in May after a young girl told investigators she had been molested by her best friend's father while spending the night at her friend's house, according to KATU.
Prosecutors said the girl told authorities she woke up to find someone "lifting her shirt and taking pictures." Marquez allegedly "photographed, touched and kissed" her, believing the young girl was still asleep, the local station reports.
Investigators said he later "admitted that he did go into the room and that he had a lapse in judgment."
After additional investigation, prosecutors indicted Marquez for a total of 107 counts on Monday, also naming two more victims. These charges replace the earlier charges filed in May.
Deputies said there is no indication the charges against him are related to his role as an elementary school volunteer, KOMO reports.
Marquez, who was suspended from the Army after 19 years of service pending the outcome of the charges, is being held on $15,970,000 bail.
[Photo: Multnomah County Sheriff's Office]
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxgen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.