Backstreet Boy Nick Carter has confirmed that he’s filed for a restraining order against his younger brother Aaron Carter, claiming his sibling "harbors thoughts and intentions" of harming his pregnant wife.
Nick Carter, 39, announced the move in a tweet on Tuesday night, stating that both he and their sister Angel have both had to take legal measures to protect themselves from Aaron.
“After careful consideration, my sister Angel and I regret that we were required to seek a restraining order against our brother Aaron,” his post reads. “In light of Aaron’s increasingly alarming behavior and his recent confession that he harbors thoughts and intentions of killing my pregnant wife and unborn child, we were left with no choice but to take every measure possible to protect ourselves and our family.”
“We love our brother and truly hope he gets the proper treatment he needs before any harm comes to himself or anyone else,” the statement continued. He also added the hashtags, “mentalhealth,” “GunControlNow,” and “GunControl.”
Nick Carter’s wife Lauren Kitt is due to give birth to their second child early next month, according to an earlier tweet.
The temporary restraining order stipulates that Aaron Carter keep at least 100 feet of distance between himself and Nick Carter, Kitt, the couple’s child, and their home in Las Vegas, as well as stay away from other members of the Carter family, TMZ reports.
Taking to Twitter on Tuesday night, Aaron Carter confirmed that he’d “just [been] served” with the order, and denied that he has any intention of hurting anyone close to him.
“I am astounded at the accusations being made against me and I do not wish harm to anyone, especially my family,” he wrote in one tweet.
In other posts, Aaron Carter stated that he hasn’t seen his brother in four years and doesn’t intend to change that. He also seemed to write off having a relationship with his brother for good, writing, “Take care. @nickcarter we’re done for life.”
Aaron Carter went on to accuse his brother of bullying him, and posted a clip from the family’s 2006 reality show “House of Carters” that shows an intense fight between the two.
“LEAVE ME ALONE. FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. IM BEGGING YOU. PLEASE,” he wrote alongside the video. “I haven’t even seen you guys and nick you bullied me my whole life. And tortured me as a child. And everyone knows it. ITS BEEN PUBLIC. and now you’re scared of the truth.”
Aaron Carter’s mental health has made headlines recently. The 31-year-old singer said during an episode of “The Doctors” that he’s been diagnosed with multiple personality disorder, schizophrenia, acute anxiety, and manic depression, and takes various prescription drugs to treat those illnesses.
It seems that Aaron Carter’s loved ones have been concerned that he may be a danger to himself or others. Police were called to Aaron’s home on Sunday to perform a welfare check, but despite their intention of placing him under an involuntary psychiatric hold, they ultimately left without doing so, according to TMZ. They were also unable to confiscate any of the singer’s gun collection, though the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has confirmed to the outlet that they are in contact with Aaron Carter’s family and are investigating their concerns.
Speaking to TMZ, Carter denied being bipolar, and said that he would not willingly give up his firearms, of which there are 500, according to an earlier TMZ report.
While Aaron Carter previously did not provide a name to TMZ when asked who could have requested the welfare check, he seemed to suggest in one tweet Tuesday night that his brother was responsible, calling it “harassment.”
“All I ask is for my family to leave me alone. This is blood. Not love. I will never be around you and I don’t want to be around you,” that tweet reads. “I am the one who said I’m done then you send me this!? Ok. Stop trying to get me 5150’d before I file a harassment suit myself nick I have the [money].”
In a tweet, Aaron appeared to reference a past allegation of sexual misconduct by Nick, suggesting the restraining order was "retaliation" for him supporting his brother's accuser.
Melissa Schuman, a member of the former girl group Dream, accused Nick Carter in 2017 of raping her at a gathering in his Santa Monica apartment in 2002, the Huffington Post reported at the time. Nick was 22 at the time of the alleged incident, while Schuman was 18. In an essay that Schuman published on her blog, she alleged that Nick “[refused] to take [her] no’s for an answer.”
In a statement to HuffPo, Nick denied the allegations, telling the outlet that he’d always been “respectful and supportive” toward Schuman, and that he would never “intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”
“Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual,” his statement read, in part.
Although prosecutors reviewed the case, it was ultimately dismissed last year, as the statute of limitations had run out, according to BBC News.
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.