Celebrity Scandals

Backstreet Boy Nick Carter Won't Face Rape Charges In Sexual Assault Case

The Los Angeles District Attorney's special task force dealing with sex crimes in the entertainment industry will not pursue singer Melissa Schuman's rape charges against the Backstreet Boy due to the statute of limitations.

Despite allegations leveled against him by singer Melissa Schuman, Backstreet Boy Nick Carter will not face rape charges, according to reports.

The 34-year-old former member of Dream, an all-girl pop group formed in the late 1990s, accused Carter of raping her at a small gathering in 2002 in a powerful blog post published last November. She filed a police report on Feb. 7.

Prosecutors in Los Angeles County said they will not file charges against Carter, 38, since the statute of limitations has expired, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Schuman responded to the news on Tuesday in another blog post.

"My family and I were well aware of the likelihood that my case was not prosecutable due to the statute of limitations in California regarding rape which was modified in 2016. It is unfortunate that the law isn’t fully retroactive to accommodate assaults that have happened in the past, regardless of how far back," she wrote. "It gives me great solace to know that my testimony is fully documented, investigated and sealed for the future if needed by law enforcement. I gave my statement, as did the other witnesses. Speaking out was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and I hope it inspires others to do the same if it feels right for them."

Carter, for his part, has consistently denied the allegations, saying any sexual encounter that occurred between them was consensual.

“I am shocked and saddened by Ms. Schuman’s accusations. Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual. We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally," he said in a statement to People.com back in November, when the allegations initially surfaced. "This is the first that I am hearing about these accusations, nearly two decades later. It is contrary to my nature and everything I hold dear to intentionally cause someone discomfort or harm.”

Carter is the latest celebrity to dodge rape charges thanks to the statute of limitations on the offenses, according the Los Angeles Times.

Last year, the LA County DA formed the Entertainment Industry Sex Crimes Tax Force last fall to investigate similar allegations. In addition to Carter, the body recently declined to pursue charges against Kevin Spacey and Steven Seagal due to the same circumstances of Carter’s case, according to the Associated Press.

[Photos: Getty]

Crime Time is your destination for breaking crime news, original reporting, and information about Oxygen's programming. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our Martinis & Murder podcast!

All Posts About:
Celebrity Scandals Breaking News

You May Also Like...

Recommended by Zergnet