Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Boy Burned After Being Doused In Nail Polish Remover In 'Stable' Condition, Mother Says

A GoFundMe page has been set up for 7-year-old Julien Sandlin following the hoffific incident.

By Ethan Harfenist

A Missouri 7-year-old was badly burned after another child purposefully poured nail polish remover on him and set him ablaze, according to the boy's mother.

Julien Sandlin was attacked on August 6 at the Hawthorne Place Apartment Complex in Independence, where he lives with his mother, Ashley Lyons, according to WDAF.

“I had received a call when I got to court that my son was being rushed to Children's Mercy Hospital from a child drowning my son in fingernail polish remover and lit him on fire on purpose," she told the news station last week.

When she got to the hospital, doctors revealed to her just how bad her son’s injuries were.

“The burns were so bad that they had to go in immediately and do surgery that they had to scrape his face and all of his skin,” Lyons told WDAF, adding that her child’s internal organs were also impacted by the burns. “It will take three to six months to find out if the lungs could still collapse, if we’re going to have to do skin grafts.”

Lyons set up a GoFundMe campaign five days ago to help cover medical and other expenses following the incident. As of Tuesday afternoon, the campaign raised $60,000, exceeding its original $50,000 goal.

“It’s heartbreaking,” Lyons wrote in a message posted to the crowdfunding site, “but at the same time we are truly blessed for each and every single one of you.”

Lyons told Oxygen.com in an email on Tuesday that while the burns are “painful” and “itchy” for her son, he’s in “stable” condition.

“We are doing the best we can to make sure that he’s happy and [that] he’s getting the right resources and medication and pain management,” she added. “So that’s where we’re at right now.”

Meanwhile, Independence Police told The Kansas City Star newspaper that they are currently investigating the incident.

"There is nothing from this isolated incident that I believe is indicative of crime in the apartment complex," Independence Police spokesman John Syme told WDAF.

[Photo: Ashley Lyons/GoFundMe]

Read more about: