Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Conor McGregor Of UFC Arraigned On Felony Charges For Attack On MMA Fighters

The MMA fighter was charged with misdemeanor assault and two counts of felony criminal mischief for throwing a metal hand truck through the window of the bus and punching a security guard, authorities say.

By JB Nicholas

MMA champ Conor McGregor was arraigned on felony charges in New York City Friday over his rampage at the Barclays Center on a bus full of fellow fighters. 

McGregor, 29, was charged with misdemeanor assault and two counts of felony criminal mischief for throwing a metal hand truck through the window of the bus and punching a security guardaccording to police and prosecutors. He was released on $50,000 bail.

The Dublin brawler was in the city for a UFC league fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway scheduled for Saturday. After a Thursday press conference in Brooklyn's Barclays Center, McGregor and an entourage of more than a dozen people vandalized a bus filled with other fighters set to compete this weekend, the NYPD said.

McGregor threw a metal hand truck “through a window of the bus, causing injuries to several individuals on the bus,” Brooklyn Assistant District Attorney, Wilfredo Cotto, told Brooklyn Criminal Court Judge Connie Mallafre Melendez.

Cotto identified the injured men as Michael Ciaza, Ozzy Arias, Raymond Borg and Richardo Chico.

Additionally, according to the criminal complaint against McGregor, he punched a security guard, Jason Ledbedder, “several times in the head with a closed fist.”

McGregor was mad because the league decided to strip him of his lightweight championship title after Saturday’s fight, according the New York Post. The winner of the fight in Brooklyn would be awarded his title, according to MMA Junkie.

The outburst was captured on surveillance video, Cotto, the prosecutor, said, and a video posted to Instagram by UFC fighter Felice Herrig (since taken down) reportedly captured McGregor “running while holding a large object” – a metal police barricade – and then toppling nearby garbage cans, according to the New York Times.

Late Thursday evening, McGregor surrendered to police in Brooklyn, according to one of his lawyers, John Arlia.

He was escorted into Judge Melendez’s courtroom by several bailiffs, handcuffed behind his back. He wore a blank expression, blue jeans and a blue long-sleeve shirt. At times, he rocked back-and-forth on his heels.

He spoke only once. When asked if he understood restrictions imposed on him as a condition of his release on bail, McGregor responded flatly, “Yes, your honor.”

The criminal complaint against McGregor chargehim with assault in the third degree, criminal mischief in the second, third and fourth degrees, menacing in the second and third degrees, reckless endangerment in the second degree and attempted assault in the third degree.

Also arrested was Cian Cowley, of Dublin, who surrendered with McGregor.

Like McGregor, Cowley is charged with third degree assault, criminal mischief and other charges. His bail was set at $25,000 cash or bond. The two were arraigned together, and left together in a caravan of SUVs.

They are due back in court in Brooklyn on June 14.


Read more about: