The feel-good story of a New Jersey couple helping out a kindhearted homeless man has taken yet another ugly turn, with a judge ordering the pair to appear in court and a subsequent police raid on their home.
“Due to the enormous public interest in this matter, I am confirming that a search warrant was executed early this morning by the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office and the Florence Township Police Department at the resident of Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure in connection with a criminal investigation into the Johnny Bobbitt matter,” Burlington County Prosecutor Scott A. Coffina said in a statement released Thursday. “As of this time, there have been no charges filed. Further updates will be provided as circumstances warrant.”
After a lawyer representing Johnny Bobbitt, the homeless veteran who sparked a wave of generosity when he gave the couple his last $20 for gas last November, learned that the entirety of the $400,000 raised through GoFundMe was gone, Judge Paula Dow on Wednesday told McClure and D’Amico’s lawyer she wanted to see the pair in person, ABC7 Chicago reports.
"You should advise your clients that they are directed by the court to appear, and they can assert their privileges at that time,” Dow said, as quoted by ABC 7 Chicago.
Judge Dow also told both sides’ counsel to organize their paperwork, in order to determine exactly how the cash was spent before it all vanished.
McClure and D’Amico’s attorney, Ernest Badway, told the court that Bobbitt received about $200,000, according to the Associated Press. Dow, however, said he was “misadvised” by his two clients since it was later revealed that there is in fact no money left over.
“I am not going to allow you to be their voice anymore,” said Dow, a former state attorney general, according to the Associated Press.
Last week, a judge ordered McClure and D’Amico to hand over any remaining money to Bobbitt.
The couple started a GoFundMe campaign last November after Bobbitt gave them his last $20 for gas when their car broke down on I-95 in New Jersey. The gesture quickly went viral, and the campaign raised more than $400,000 for Bobbitt, who at the time was living on the streets and struggling with drug addiction.
However, the feel-good story of the year quickly went sour, when it was revealed that not only was Bobbitt reportedly frozen out from the cash raised on his behalf, but McClure and D’Amico were using the money to fund a lavish lifestyle complete with BMWs and European vacations.
The couple, for their part, claimed last month during a talk show appearance that they had given Bobbitt several thousand dollars, but he quickly blew it on drugs.
Bobbitt’s legal team said they want the couple’s financial records, and for forensic accounting to be conducted, ABC7 Chicago reports.
One of his lawyers, Chris Fallon, also said Wednesday that Bobbitt is set to enter a 30-day inpatient rehab facility, according to Fox.
Meanwhile, GoFundMe spokesman Bobby Whithorne said his company is collaborating with law enforcement in order to get Bobbitt back the money raised in his name, USA Today reports.
[Photo Credit: Getty]