Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Couple Who Enslaved Nanny For Years Forced Her To Work 20-Hour Days Without Breaks, Eat Only Leftover Food

The couple faked visa documents to get the woman to the United States.

By Eric Shorey

A couple in Katy, Texas, has been forced to pay an unnamed Nigerian woman more than $121,000 in restitution after enslaving her as a servant and nanny, making her work almost 20 hours a day without pay for two years.

According to The Dallas Morning News, Chudy Nsobundu, 57, and his wife Sandra Nsobundu, 49, were also sentenced to seven months in jail and seven months of home confinement, plus three years' probation, in addition to the payment. The sentencing for the two naturalized United States citizens from Nigeria was delivered this past Friday.

According to The Washington Post, Sandra had pleaded guilty to unlawful conduct with respect to documents in furtherance of forced labor in October of 2016. Chudy had pleaded guilty to visa fraud.

Police: Babysitter Made Kids Steal Electronics From Walmart

The two, together, had faked immigration documents to bring their Nigerian victim to the United States. A false visa application was created for the Department of State that indicated the woman was visiting the country for a niece's graduation. Much of the woman's information was falsified, including her age and marital status.

Once the victim arrived in the United States, she was told she would be paid $100 a month. The couple then confiscated her passport and did not compensate her for her work.

The conditions the victim was forced to work under were extreme. According to court documents, her day began at 5:30 AM and ran until 1 AM the next day. She was not allowed to take breaks and was given a diet only consisting of the leftover food from the family, which included the milk from the unfinished cereal bowls of the five children. She was not permitted to take hot showers and was repeatedly threatened with physical and psychological abuse.

The woman was ultimately rescued in October 2015 after she reached out for help and a tip came in to the National Human Trafficking Resource Center.

[Photo: Getty Images]

Read more about: