Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Couple Stabbed And Shot By Neighbor Who Later Died Of An Overdose, Officials Say

Police found Daniel Mooney dead and his cellphone in Christina and Tyler Roy's stolen car.

By Jon Silman

A heroin addict near Philadelphia allegedly murdered a neighbor couple in their home before dying of an accidental overdose, police said.

Christina and Tyler Roy, 27 and 28, were found dead in their Churchville home May 1 by a house painter, according to Philly.com

The couple's suspected killer, Daniel Mooney, was found dead the same day in Philadelphia’s Kensington neighborhood, with his cellphone in the couple's stolen car. Police said he died of an overdose. He had sold the car for a meager price, and the new owner cooperated with authorities.

Mooney, 26, listed his parents' house as his home after a stint in rehab. That house is across the street from the Roy home.

Police said Mooney slipped into the house through an unlocked door, and there were signs of a long struggle upstairs. Mooney allegedly remained in the house for a prolonged but undetermined amount of time after the murders.

The couple died of multiple stab and slash wounds. After the attack, authorities said, the suspected killer shot them with Tyler Roy's rifle. Investigators do not know of any direct connection between Mooney and the couple.

“Certainly he chose that house, and we’re not sure why he chose that house,” First Assistant District Attorney Gregg Shore said, according to Philly.com. “We have no indication to say that this act was anything but random."

Tyler Roy was a construction estimator and Christina Roy was a professional photographer. They were high school sweethearts described by friends as warm and outgoing with bright futures. 

“Christina was just one of those people that when you meet them the first time, you loved them,” Amanda Helwig, a real estate broker who hired her to shoot listings, told Philly.com “It just breaks my heart that so many people didn’t get the chance to meet her and experience knowing such an amazing woman.”

Both victims attended Archbishop Wood High School, where administrator Dan Mangin coached Tyler Roy on Wood's lacrosse team.

“He was just an exceptional young man: smart and witty, with a dry sense of humor,” he said. The two remained close even as Tyler Roy went on to play lacrosse in college, and then in adult recreational leagues with Mangin's sons. 

Mooney had long struggled with heroin addiction, according to former co-workers at a grocery store minutes from the Roys' house. He'd been back and forth at the store for employment many times over the last decade.

The funeral for the couple will be held Tuesday night, according to their memorial page.

[Photo: Bucks County District Attorney's Office; Facebook]

Read more about: