A family of four was found dead in a Parks, Arizona cabin on Tuesday. According to Fox 10 Phoenix, the Coconino County Sheriff's Office believe that the vacation home’s heating system experienced a “significant failure.” Police suspect that they may have died after being exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Officials are still awaiting an official cause of death.
"We believe possibly carbon monoxide poisoning malfunction in the heater or any other gas appliance in the residence. We have not determined what that was exactly yet," stated Jon Paxton of the Coconino County Sheriff's Office.
The family — Anthony and Megan Capitano, both 32, and their two children, 4-year-old Lincoln and 3-year-old Kingsley — was from El Mirage, Arizona. Police believe that they may have died days before their bodies were found, Arizona Central reported.
A family friend called police on Monday requesting a welfare check, according to a police press release. That friend said family members had been trying to reach the Capitanos for several days. A responding deputy noticed a strong smell of gas when he arrived on the scene.
The family’s friends are now mourning the devastating loss. Daniel Matlock, a friend of Anthony’s, told FOX10, "He loved his family, he loved his children, just a great example to follow."
Matlock told CBS News, "It's just tragic. It's just a big hole in all of our hearts, that only Tony and Megan and their children can fill."
He also said that the couple inspired him.
"Tony just had a magnetic smile and spirit about him and Megan was a compliment to that," he said. "Just the perfect couple. I mean, I try to emulate my relationship with my girlfriend and my children after Tony and Megan."
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.