A 26-year-old homeless man has been accused of going on a violent rampage in northern Virginia earlier this week, abducting and sexually assaulting an 11-year-old girl and attacking another woman who attempted to intervene, according to authorities.
Prince William County Police arrested Adam-Seth Nathaneal Walter in Woodbridge, Virginia, after they said he snatched up a the preteen while she was on her way to school Tuesday morning.
"The accused grabbed the victim and implied he had a weapon," PWC Police said in a press statement posted to Facebook.
They added that a 34-year-old woman, later identified by NBC4 Washington as Leticia Aguilar, witnessed what was happening outside her home and tried to step in. She told the outlet that the girl spoke out and warned her that Walter was armed.
As a result, the suspect allegedly "repeatedly struck" the Aguilar, causing "significant injuries" before he forced both the woman and the 11-year-old into the witness' home, according to police.
"He grabbed her phone and she tried to grab it back from him, and that’s when he hit her in the face four times," the woman’s son, Elder Espina Aguilar, told NBC4.
Another occupant of the house heard the commotion and also tried to intervene, but police said Walter instead fled the scene and took the juvenile with him.
The witness immediately phoned authorities, but the suspect, who police said is a felon with no fixed address, was already on the run. Walter reportedly took the young girl to another residence and sexually assaulted her before he eventually let her go free.
Police were searching the area for the kid in response to the witness’s earlier call, but the girl eventually approached an officer stationed nearby.
"The juvenile victim and witness were transported to an area hospital for treatment while detectives and forensic investigators continued the investigation," the statement said.
Espina Aguilar saw the girl following the ordeal.
"She was traumatized. She was just crying, didn’t want to talk at all," he told NBC4. "I feel like we could’ve done more, but in a situation like that you just don’t know what to do."
Police were able to identify the suspect from evidence recovered at the scene, with the assistance of the department's Forensic Services Section, and later took Walter into custody without incident.
Walter has been charged with one count of abduction with intent to defile, one count of rape, two counts of sodomy, one count of aggravated sexual battery and one count of indecent liberties in connection with his alleged attack on the juvenile victim.
He also faces charges of abduction, use of a firearm in commission of a felony, robbery, burglary with intent to commit larceny, malicious wounding and possession of a firearm by a convicted violent felon for the alleged attack on the adult witness.
Walter is being held without bond, police said. His next hearing is Dec. 13, according to NBC4.
[Photo: Prince William County Police]