Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Conor McGregor Investigated For Alleged Sexual Assault By Irish Police
Conor McGregor, an MMA star, announced his retirement from the sport via Twitter before the news broke.
Mixed martial arts champion Conor McGregor is being investigated in his home country of Ireland following a December sexual assault accusation, according to reports.
McGregor was arrested in January, but was ultimately released after being questioned, according to the New York Times, since in Ireland and much of Europe, a charge does not mean somebody will ultimately be arrested and McGregor has not been charged with any crime.
Irish media first reported the story in 2018, but couldn’t identify McGregor since he wasn’t convicted, according to CBS Sports.
The woman who accused the MMA star said it happened at the Beacon Hotel in Dublin, according to the New York Times, which added that McGregor is known to occasionally go to the establishment.
A spokesman for Ireland’s police service, the Gardai, would not confirm to the New York Times if McGregor is officially the suspect, however. All it would say was an “unnamed sportsman” was arrested on Jan. 17 and released without being charged as the investigation goes on.
McGregor announced his retirement on social media Monday night, abruptly ending his remarkable fighting career.
In a post on his verified Twitter account, the former UFC featherweight and lightweight champion said: "I've decided to retire from the sport formally known as 'Mixed Martial Art' today."
The post wishes his "old colleagues well going forward in competition," and says he would "join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!"
In April 2018, McGregor was charged with assault and criminal mischief after he attacked a bus carrying UFC fighters outside Barclays Arena in Brooklyn. McGregor was acting in revenge for a perceived slight against a teammate, and he eventually pleaded no contest to a count of disorderly conduct.
Earlier this month, McGregor was arrested again in Miami Beach for stealing the phone of someone trying to take his photo, authorities said. McGregor was charged with robbery and criminal mischief, but his attorney described the altercation as minor.
McGregor also was suspended from MMA competition for six months and fined $50,000 for his role in a brawl instigated by Khabib Nurmagomedov immediately after their bout last October.
If it sticks, McGregor's retirement ends a remarkable rise for the former plumber from Dublin who became the biggest star in MMA with his heavy fists and self-promotional acumen. He won 15 consecutive fights during his rise, including a spectacular 13-second knockout of Jose Aldo to win the featherweight title in December 2015.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.