Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Jake Patterson, the man accused of kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs and killing her parents after spotting her get into a school bus, made his first appearance in court on Monday afternoon over video conference.
During the appearance, Patterson was accused of going to great lengths to get away with the heinous crimes.
Patterson sat in a small room wearing an all orange outfit, including an orange tee over a long-sleeve shirt of the same color, which was broadcasted over video conference.
With a tight haircut and glasses, he appeared alert and wide-eyed. He blinked often as his eyes shifted around the room. Patterson also nodded when his defense answered the judge’s questions in an affirmative manner. When the judge asked Patterson questions, he responded with either “yes, sir” or “no, sir.”
The judge ordered law enforcement to get DNA sample to be taken from Patterson.
Barron County District Attorney Brian Wright noted that Patterson had no ties to Barron County with the exception of working at a cheese factory for two days.
“The only reason other than that for being in Barron County was to kidnap Jayme,” he said.
Wright asked for a $5 million bail, calling Patterson a flight risk and a "danger to the public." He cited “the efforts he took to conceal himself” which include purchasing a mask and allegedly stealing license plates, and putting them on his car when he went to the Closs home. Wright said that Patterson shaved his head and face in an attempt to avoid leaving his DNA at the crime scene and that he disengaged the dome light of his car so that he would be less visible.
“The fact that he made a decision to shoot anyone inside that home,” he said.
Last week, law enforcement stated that Closs was the target, not her parents James and Denise Closs who were found dead inside their home, located near Barron, on Oct. 15.
Wright also claimed fact that Patterson planned to shoot police if he was stopped after abducting Closs.
Wright’s request was granted and Patterson’s bail was set at $5 million cash. His next scheduled court appearance has been set for Feb 6. At 7 a.m.
Additionally, he was ordered to not contact the 13-year-old girl he's accused of kidnapping.
He faces life behind bars if convicted of the two murders and kidnapping charges, in addition to an armed robbery charged, he faces.
The night before the court appearance, Patterson’s public defenders Richard Jones and Charles Glynn, who were present with him on Monday, gave a public statement on their client, according to the Twin Cities-based outlet WCCO. “This is a tragic situation from every perspective. A lot of heavy hearts, a lot of thoughts and prayers going around,” Glynn said. “You’ve seen how people have come together the last few months, there’s going to be a whole lot of healing that needs to go on in this community from every perspective, and we have all the faith in the world that will take place.”
[Photo: Barron County Sheriff’s Department]
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content.