Singer Jordan Pruitt has filed a lawsuit against Nashville producer and songwriter Keith Thomas, accusing him of abusing her when she was a young teen working under his guidance.
Pruitt originally filed the suit using an alias in early August, but filed another complaint on Aug. 30 naming Thomas, as well as her former label, Hollywood Records, and the Walt Disney Co., who owns the label, according to court documents obtained by PEOPLE.
Pruitt claimed in her suit that Thomas’ abuse began when she was only 14 years old and continued until she was nearly 16, the outlet reports. Thomas, she said, controlled multiple aspects of her career — “the bookings, studio sessions, tour schedules, public relations schedules. and media requests” — and did not let her speak with boys her own age, even going as far as “deleting male contacts from her cell phone,” the suit reportedly states.
Thomas would routinely make negative comments about her, which Pruitt described as a “beating-down process,” but would then follow that with a “period” of being extremely affectionate and telling her that he loved her, Pruitt claimed.
Pruitt also claimed that the abuse was sexual with Thomas, who she said told her that “their love was a secret,” kissing her and engaging in oral sex with her, Variety reports. She alleged that Thomas took her virginity and, on another occasion, drugged her and penetrated her anally. She also said the abuse occurred at various locations, including Warner Bros. property and the Staples Center, according to the outlet.
Pruitt has accused her label and Disney of failing to protect her from Thomas’ alleged abuse by allowing him to work with her as a mentor without supervision.
“Unfortunately, these large companies are primarily concerned with sales, money and charts,” Pruitt said in a statement obtained by Variety. “Too often they fall short of protecting the young talent that they are ‘supposed’ to be caretakers for. Time and time again we see people in positions of power fail us. I couldn’t be more disappointed in how Disney treats their underage talent like cash cows.”
Pruitt opened up about the suit on social media this week, writing in one post, “3 weeks ago as ‘Jane Doe’ I filed a lawsuit against my molester and those who enabled him. No more Jane Doe. I am Jordan Pruitt.”
Pruitt previously spoke out about the alleged abuse in December but did not name Thomas, and instead spoke about an unnamed industry insider whom she says began grooming and molesting her early on in her career.
“At fifteen this person had brainwashed me into thinking that the things that were happening were ‘natural’ and ‘okay,’” she wrote in a lengthy Facebook post that has since been deleted. “For the record, while all of this was happening to me, he was engaged to be married. While I will spare you any of the mind-piercing details, I can honestly and unfortunately say that this man sexually abused me for almost two years of my life. I am a victim of child molestation because of him.”
Hollywood Records and Disney did not comment on Pruitt’s claims when contacted by Variety, the outlet reports. Thomas directed questions to his attorney, who, in turn, reportedly did not respond to a request for comment on the story.
Pruitt, who appeared on season three of “The Voice,” previously released two albums with Hollywood Records as a young teen. She is currently working on a book about her experiences called “Abuse Anonymous,” per Variety’s report.
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.