Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
A Texas man shot his ex-wife, her new boyfriend and his own three children before killing himself, police said.
Justin Painter on Wednesday shot and killed Seth Richardson, 29, and Painter's three children — Drake, 4; Caydence, 6; and Odin, 8 — in Ponder, near Fort Worth, police said. He also shot his ex, Amanda Simpson, who survived.
Before his rampage, Painter had filed a temporary restraining order against Simpson, according to court documents obtained by the Dallas Morning News. The couples' divorce —initiated by Painter in August 2017 — was finalized in March after five years of marriage. Painter was given primary custody of the children.
Police were called to Simpson's home Wednesday morning with reports of a burglary in progress. Officers found five people dead and Simpson critically injured, according to the Star-Telegram.
Here's what we know so far:
• Investigators determined that the shooter was Justin Painter and it was a murder-suicide. They are not looking for any other suspects.
• In one of three Facebook videos that have since been removed, a distraught Simpson cried about how she didn't know how she'd bury her three children. She said she saw them every time she closed her eyes.
• In a different video, Simpson said she was "extremely mad" at the divorce judge who allegedly didn't listen when Simpson said Painter had attempted suicide and was mentally unstable, according to the Star-Telegram. "I made it very clear to the judge that he was mentally unstable," Simpson said, weeping. "And they didn't listen, so now, I don't have my babies . . . they were my everything, my purpose to breathe."
• Fort Worth Family Court Judge Nancy Berger disputed Simpson's assertion, issuing a statement claiming that the divorce was uncontested, there were no hearings and neither brought up any violence or mental health issues while in mediation. "I don't know why she's saying that, unless she's confused," Berger said.
• Painter had gone to Simpson's home the night before the killing, wanting to rekindle their relationship, according to CBS-DFW. In one of her three Facebook videos, Simpson said, "He's been trying to get us back together, I told him I couldn't. He didn't like it."
• Simpson had surgery to remove a bullet that was lodged in her shoulder on Friday, and on Sunday, made a tearful appearance at a vigil for her children. Simpson said she's planning to move to Virginia to be closer to her remaining family.
[Photo credit: Facebook]
Crime News is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for Oxygen Insider for all the best true crime content.