Former NFL Pro And Alleged Serial Rapist Kellen Winslow Jr.'s Trial Begins

Kellen Winslow Jr. has been accused of routinely sexually assaulting elderly women.

By Sharon Lynn Pruitt
Digital Original
Facts About Elder Abuse And Prevention

Trial proceedings for former NFL pro and accused serial rapist Kellen Winslow Jr. will begin on Monday, May 20.

Winslow, 35, is facing a multitude of charges related to alleged instances of indecent exposure and sexual assault, the Associated Press reports. A criminal complaint obtained by the outlet lists five women as having been victimized by the former pro athlete. He is facing 12 counts but has pleaded not guilty to all of the charges.

His attorney, Brian Watkins, told the paper via email that “we look forward to vindicating Mr. Winslow.”

Winslow, a former tight end and the son of the son of NFL Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow Sr., was arrested most recently for allegedly raping an unconscious 17-year-old girl in 2003, when he was 19 years old. Because the alleged victim was underage at the time of the offense, the statute of limitations does not apply, San Diego County’s Deputy District Attorney Dan Owens explained shortly after the July arrest, according to USA Today.

“California law allows for certain specified sexual offenses to be charged regardless of the time of their commission under certain circumstances,” he said. “Those circumstances are met in this case.”

Kellen Winslow Jr

Prior to his July arrest, Winslow had been taken into custody for alleged kidnapping, sexual assault, and other offenses. He was arrested in June over allegations that he’d victimized a number of women, according to a criminal complaint obtained by The San Diego Union-Tribune. Two women claim that Winslow raped them after they got into a car with him; two others say that he broke into their mobile homes, with another woman alleging that Winslow exposed himself to her while she was out gardening, the outlet reports.

The ages of his alleged victims range from 54 to 89, and the charges include kidnap, rape, sodomy, and burglary with the intent to rape, among others, according to the complaint. The alleged crimes are all believed to have been committed in Winslow’s neighborhood of Encinitas.

Winslow was previously released on $2 million bail, but he was jailed again in February after he allegedly engaged in lewd conduct in front of an elderly woman twice, prompting a judge to order him to be held without bail, according to the Associated Press.

Winslow, who faces spending the rest of his life in prison if convicted, pleaded not guilty on June 15.

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet