Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Georgia Mother Accused Of Leaving 3-Year-Old Alone For Hours To Go Drinking

Authorities say that after Kelly May Algar and her companion ended up in the hospital, she told hospital workers she had to leave the medical facility to go home and check on her child, leading deputies to discover the toddler completely alone.

By Eric Shorey

A Georgia mother allegedly left her 3-year-old son home alone for hours while she was out drinking, later accompanying the man she was with to the hospital after he passed out.

Kelly May Algar, 26, has been charged with first-degree felony cruelty to children and misdemeanor reckless conduct following her June 29 arrest.

Algar and her boyfriend, who remains unnamed in reports, were taken to Northside Hospital Forsyth after he lost consciousness while drinking heavily at the Good Ol’ Days Bar and Grill in Cumming, Georgia, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Kelly May Algar

Timothy Copley witnessed the scene that unfolded at around 2 a.m.

“[The boyfriend had] passed out on the bench and 911 was called and ... he received Narcan to revive and all that,” Copley told Fox 5 of Atlanta.

At the hospital, Algar became agitated. Authorities were called when Algar told medical staff that she had to leave to attend to her baby at home.

Deputies rushed to the home to find the young child entirely alone. Corporal Doug Rainwater, of the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office, believes the toddler had been by himself for a while.

“This child, to our knowledge, had been in this house for not just a few minutes but for a few hours in this house alone,” said Rainwater, according to Fox 5.

Algar was released on $22,730 bond. The boyfriend is still recovering.

The child has since been placed in the custody of Georgia's Division of Family and Children Services.