Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Kelsey Berreth's Fiance Hit Her So Hard With A Baseball Bat Her Tooth Was Knocked Out, Investigators Say

Krystal Lee Kenny, the Idaho nurse who had an affair with Kelsey Berreth's fiance, Patrick Frazee, provided eerie details about the gruesome crime scene she helped clean up.

By Jill Sederstrom

Kelsey Berreth thought she was in the middle of a playful guessing game with scented candles when her fiancé allegedly struck her so hard in the face with a baseball bat it knocked her tooth out, according to a newly released arrest affidavit.

Investigators believe Frazee killed his fiancé on the afternoon of Nov. 22, while the couple’s 1-year-old daughter was in a playpen in a back bedroom of the home.

Berreth had allegedly been blindfolded at the time and was guessing the scents of different candles in her living room when the fatal blows were landed, sending blood spattering throughout the 29-year-old’s Colorado townhome, landing on her daughter’s toys, curtains, pillows, and stuffed animals.

"While she was blindfolded and distracted, he hit her with the bat, causing her death,” the affidavit said. “Frazee was concerned he left a tooth behind at the residence, because when he hit her in the face with the bat, it presumably caused several of her teeth to become dislodged." A tooth was eventually located during the clean up, according to information given to police by Krystal Lee Kenney.

The affidavit also reveals new details about Kenney, the Idaho nurse who who was having an affair with Berreth’s fiancé, Patrick Frazee. She reportedly traveled to Colorado to clean up the bloody crime scene at Frazee’s request. She has agreed to help the prosecution in Frazee’s murder trial.

The pair had allegedly been carrying on an affair “during at least 2016 and possibly into 2017,” according to information Kenney’s ex-husband, Chad Lee, provided to investigators. Frazee and Kenney had also dated in college and knew one another for more than a decade.

While the relationship between Kenney and Frazee was heating up, her marriage to Lee was ending. Lee and Kenney divorced last summer and are raising two children together, according to the affidavit.

Kenney allegedly lied to Chad in November, telling him she was going to a friend’s birthday party in Idaho on Nov. 24 and 25, then later saying she was helping a friend move. In reality, she drove to Colorado to clean Berreth’s townhome in a car she had borrowed from a friend, the affidavit said.

The friend reportedly knew Kenney was driving the vehicle to Colorado but didn’t know Kenney’s real motivations behind the trip.

Kenney would later tell investigators Frazee had initially wanted her to kill Berreth because he claimed she was abusing their child. Kenney said he provided her with several possible options including a plan to bring Berreth a poisoned Starbucks drink or to beat her with a pipe.

Although Kenney took “specific and significant steps towards accomplishing the murder,” she never went through with it, the affidavit said.

Instead, investigators believe Frazee committed the attack and then solicited Kenney’s help in the aftermath.

Kenney, who has pleaded guilty to evidence tampering in the case, allegedly spent several hours on Nov. 24 cleaning Berreth’s townhome with Windex and bleach. She said blood was throughout the living room where the attack began and the kitchen, covering the walls, ceilings, pictures, the couch, and television.

She told investigators she had left behind several spots of blood, including blood on the fireplace and on a baby gate, in the hopes that investigators would be able to find it later.

After the alleged murder, Kenney said Frazee took Berreth’s body and stored it in a black tote, which he eventually burned in a trough on his property, the affidavit said.

Investigators were able to piece together the case against both Frazee and Kenney through interviews, along with cell phone data that showed Berreth’s phone initially bounced off the same towers as Frazee’s phone in the immediate days after it’s believed she was killed, and then bounced off the same towers as Kenney’s phone.

Kenney has told investigators that after cleaning up the crime scene she took Berreth’s cell phone with her to Idaho and got rid of it in an attempt to mislead investigators.

Earlier this week, a judge ruled that there is enough evidence against Frazee to move to a trial and scheduled his arraignment for April 8, KMGH reports.

Frazee is facing two counts of murder and three counts of solicitation of first-degree murder.

Berreth’s body has never been found.