Montia Sabbag, the woman featured in actor and comedian Kevin Hart’s sex tape, has filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit naming Hart and various other parties.
The 2017 recording, which reportedly showed Hart and Sabbag during a sexual encounter in a Las Vegas hotel room, kicked off a firestorm of legal and personal problems for Hart, whose wife was pregnant at the time. The actor’s former friend, Jonathan Todd Jackson, was later arrested for allegedly attempting to extort Hart, and the actor issued a public apology to his wife and children.
Now, two years after the video was first publicized, Sabbag, 28, has filed a $60 million lawsuit accusing Hart, 40, and others of negligence, causing her emotional distress, and invading her privacy, USA TODAY reports, citing court documents. The suit, filed Monday, names Hart and Jackson, alleging that the latter filmed her having consensual sex with Hart “without her knowledge or consent,” according to the outlet.
The complaint also names the hotel and parent companies — Marriott, Blackstone, and the Cosmopolitan — and accuses them of being negligent by allowing Jackson, either unknowingly or purposefully, to have access to Hart’s room where he allegedly recorded the encounter, the outlet reports.
But while the suit accuses Jackson of doing the actual recording, Hart is also accused of working with Jackson to make the video “for the purpose of obtaining tremendous financial benefit for himself,” according to the New York Daily News.
Jackson was arrested and charged with one felony count each of attempted extortion and extortion by threatening letter in relation to the video, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
Sabbag has since alleged that Hart helped orchestrate the recording and release of the sex tape for publicity, which would “increase his overall pop culture status,” the outlet reports.
Neither Sabbag’s legal representation nor Hart’s camp responded to USA TODAY’s request for comment.
Sabbag requested in her suit a trial by jury, according to PEOPLE.
Sabbag, with her then-attorney Lisa Bloom at her side, said two years ago that she was not interested in getting any money from Hart, as she did not hold him responsible for the video, and only wanted the person who released the video to be brought to justice, USA TODAY reported.
“I was involved with Kevin Hart a month ago. Since then my pictures and my name have been released with lies written about me,” Sabbag said during the 2017 press conference. “I am not an extortionist. I am not a stripper. I am a recording artist and an actress and I have not broken any laws.”
Bloom called Hart a “victim” then, and said that she and her client were “not asking for a cent" from him, the outlet reports.
“This is not about money,” she continued. “We are not suing him. We are not making any claims against him. Any reports to the contrary are false.”
Following the release of the video, Hart admitted to cheating on his then-pregnant wife, Eniko Parrish, and apologized to her, as well as to his two children from his previous marriage to Torrei Hart.
“I’m not perfect. I’m not going to sit up here and say that I am, or claim to be in any way shape or form,” he said in an Instagram video. “And I made a bad error in judgment and I put myself in a bad environment where only bad things can happen, and they did. And in doing that I know that I’m going to hurt the people closest to me, who I've talked to and apologized to, that would be my wife and my kids.”
Hart and Parrish remained in a relationship following the scandal and later welcomed their first child together, Kenzo, in November 2017.
Hart is currently in recovery, following a car accident earlier this month that left him with serious back injuries, E! News reports.
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.