Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Lori Loughlin Reportedly Feeling 'Pressure' To Plead Guilty As Prosecutors May Turn Attention To Daughters
“She is like a mama bear when it comes to the girls," one source said of the "Full House" star's desire to protect her daughters.
Actress Lori Loughlin is reportedly feeling “pressure” to plead guilty in a college admissions scandal in an attempt to spare her daughters from also facing potential charges.
“Lori will not do anything to put her daughters in harm’s way,” a source told People. “She is like a mama bear when it comes to the girls, and she will do whatever she has to do to protect them from prosecution, especially malicious prosecution.”
Just last week the Wall Street Journal reported that federal prosecutors have begun sending letters to some of the college students and graduates whose parents have been charged in the scandal, indicating that they could be targets in the investigation as well.
Loughlin and her fashion designer husband Mossimo Giannulli are accused of paying $500,000 to have their daughters, Olivia Jade, 19, and Isabella Rose, 20, designated as recruits to the USC crew team, despite neither girl ever having participated in crew, to ensure both girls were admitted to the prestigious university.
The girls posed on a rowing machine in order to further the ruse, according to an affidavit laying out the charges against Loughlin and Giannulli, suggesting they may have had some knowledge of the alleged scheme.
The source told People that the prosecution “could easily charge” the “Full House” star’s daughters in an attempt to get Loughlin and Giannulli to plead guilty to the charges against them.
Federal prosecutors have charged Loughlin and Giannulli with fraud conspiracy and money laundering conspiracy for their alleged role in the scandal. The couple has entered not guilty pleas.
In a move this week, Loughlin, her husband and 15 other defendants ensnared by federal prosecutors in the scam have asked that the prosecution show the evidence against them before filing any “substantive motions” in the case, according to The Boston Herald.
“At present, the defendants have not yet received any discovery in this case and have been told by the government that it is extremely voluminous,” a new joint filing in federal court reads. “Defendants would like an opportunity to review discovery in a meaningful way before filing of substantive motions in this case.”
The filing also asked the judge to suspend all “substantive motions” until a status hearing can be held on June 3.