A California man who made his living as a male nanny has been arrested for alleged sex-related crimes involving children.
Matthew Antonio Zakrzewski was arrested Friday after he disembarked an international flight, though authorities did not disclose where he was returning from or even what airport he was arrested in, the Los Angeles Times reports. Authorities have since charged the 30-year-old Costa Mesa resident on Tuesday with three felony counts of lewd and lascivious acts with a minor younger than 14 and one felony count each of oral copulation of a child younger than 10 and possession of child pornography, the paper reports, citing the Orange County district attorney’s office.
Zakrzewski pleaded not guilty during his arraignment on Tuesday, during which a judge ordered him held in lieu of $1 million bail, NBC Los Angeles reports. He could face 90 years to life in prison if convicted.
Zakrzewski describes himself on his website as a “professional manny and sitter/buddy” with more than six years of experience, and asks prospective clients to “give [him] a chance to take part in your family.” But police say that they found inappropriate content that he accessed, as well as sexual images that Zakrzewski had taken himself, on multiple devices that he owned, according to the Times.
Authorities began looking into Zakrzewski earlier this month, following a report from a family in Laguna Beach who claimed that Zakrzewski, while working as their babysitter, inappropriately touched their 8-year-old son, the Times reports.
Zakrzewski was initially charged with sexually assaulting two boys, but police in Laguna Beach said on Thursday that they have identified four more children whom they believe to have been victimized by Zakrzewski. Authorities are also in the process of investigating claims made in more than a dozen voicemails they received overnight after announcing Zakrzewski’s arrest and have set up a hot line specifically for the case.
“We’ve received several, and when I say several it’s been up to about 16 voicemails overnight on a phone line that we designated for just this investigation,” police Sgt. Jim Cota told KCAL-TV, a CBS affiliate station based in Los Angeles. “We now have a confirmed six victims that we’re working with.”
All of the alleged victims are boys, according to NBC Los Angeles.
Zakrzewski, who has not yet been charged in relation to any of the newly surfaced allegations, is scheduled to appear in court again on May 31 for a pretrial hearing, according to the Times.
Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content.