Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Missing Texas 2-Year-Old Found Dead In Neighbor's Car After Disappearing During A Nap

After an extensive search, 2-year-old Texas boy Sarbesh Gurung was found dead Wednesday inside a neighbor's car. Denton police urged the community to grieve and heal together, rather than point fingers, while an investigation goes ahead.

By Jair Hilburn
Facts About Infant Abandonment and Safe Havens

Missing Denton, Texas, 2-year-old Sarbesh Gurung was found dead in a car Wednesday morning, after an extensive search by authorities and volunteers.

"We are all heartbroken," Denton Police Chief Frank Dixon said, according to Dallas ABC affiliate WFAA. "The family is just devastated. The mother is being treated right now for some undetermined medical conditions. She had a panic attack when she was notified.”

Sarbesh went missing Tuesday afternoon after his mother put him down for a nap. When she came back to see how he was doing, she saw that he was gone, according to WFAA.

The Denton police and fire departments led the search for Sarbesh, along with the University of North Texas police and several civilians. Around 250 to 300 people pitched in, according to the Dallas Morning News.

The boy was found by a family member, according to the Dallas Morning News, in a car with a shade pulled down, near the family’s home, but it is still not clear how he got into the car, according to Dixon, who added that temperatures were in the 90s when Sarbesh went missing.

The car belonged to a neighbor of the Gurungs, Dixon noted Wednesday, according to WFAA News.

Dixon also urged the community not to assign blame, but to “collectively come together, grieve together and heal together,” while police investigate.

Sarbesh Gurung

"Is it reasonable to assume that we checked every car, checked every door handle? No — we can't reasonably assume that," Dixon said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "There are probably going to be questions that we never have answers for, and that's unfortunate."

Sarbesh showed no sign of trauma and was taken to the medical examiner’s office for an autopsy.

“There’s no persons of interest right now,” Dixon said, according to the ABC News affiliate, “because we have nothing leading us to believe this was an intentional act of homicide.”

The major crimes unit is investigating the case.

Read more about: