Mom Of Mentally Ill Man Allegedly Murdered By 3 Dallas Police Officers: 'He Trusted The Police'

He dialed 911 for help and was dead within an hour.

By Gina Tron

On Thursday, three cops from Dallas, Texas were indicted for the 2016 death of an unarmed man who called 911 for help. Tony Timpa, 32, became anxious after doing cocaine so he called the police for assistance, the Dallas Morning News reports. Within an hour of that phone call, he was dead. Timpa reportedly suffered from schizophrenia.

Now, Sgt. Kevin Mansell, 48, and Officer Danny Vasquez, 32 have been charged with deadly conduct, according to Fox News. The third cop’s name hasn’t been released. He reportedly hasn’t yet surrendered to police. So far the police have only been slammed with misdemeanors. The two who have been idicted have not appeared to enter pleas and they have both been placed on administrative leave.

Although happy with the indictment, Timpa’s mother was hoping for a tougher punishment.
"They need to go to jail," Vicki Timpa said, adding that she was surprised that they weren’t charged with felonies. "I want them to smell the rust on the bars."

She said police have refused to release body cam footage of the officers’ interactions with her son before his death. In fact, both the city of Dallas and Dallas County have blocked their release, according to an NBC affiliate. The night he died, the trio of police allegedly mocking Timpa while he struggled to breath. One of the cops is accused of putting his knee on Timpa’s back for nearly 15 minutes while Timpa was handcuffed, according to Dallas News. Timpa cried, “don’t hurt me” and soon after lost consciousness.

"I hope I didn't kill him,” one cop is accused of saying.

Timpa’s official cause of death was a sudden cardiac arrest due to stress and cocaine. His death has been ruled as a homicide.

Police claim that Timpa was both combative and aggressive according to the Associated Press. Police have not commented.

First Assistant District Attorney Mike Snipes sent a statement to NBC5. 

"The Dallas Police investigation of the death in custody of Anthony Timpa was turned over to the District Attorney’s Office in December, 2016. Our investigation of the case revealed some concerns with the cause of Mr. Timpa’s death. When our investigation exposes matters of concern like this, we are obligated to fully investigate, even if the additional investigation may result in a delay to the expected presentation date to the Grand Jury. That is what happened here. Additionally, our protocols require us to reach out to the family of the deceased to ascertain if they have any relevant information or evidence. In this case, Mr. Timpa’s father did provide us with additional case information that required us to fully explore the new information and necessitated our agreement to consult with an outside forensic pathologist. At this time, the case will likely be presented to the Grand Jury by the end of the year."

Vicki said her son was raised to trust police.

"He loved the police. He trusted the police. They made him feel safe in this big world, even back in 1984 when he was born," the grieving mother said.

[Photo: Facebook]

Related Stories

Crime Time is your destination for true crime stories from around the world, breaking crime news, and information about Oxygen's original true crime shows and documentaries. Sign up for our Crime Time Newsletter and subscribe to our true crime podcast Martinis & Murder for all the best true crime content. 

You May Also Like...
Recommended by Zergnet