Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

New Video Shows Dramatic Surveillance Footage Of NYC Subway Terror Attack

The video captured a sudden, smoky flash and commuters fleeing the scene.

By Sowmya Krishnamurthy

New surveillance video shows the dramatic events that took place during the New York City subway attack last December. As NBC New York reported, Akayed Ullah of Brooklyn tried to set off the pipe bomb at the busy intersection of the Port Authority Bus Terminal and the Times Square subway station on the morning of December 11.

From the video, commuters are going about their day until a sudden, smoky flash is seen of the explosion. Then the smoke clears, and Ullah is seen lying on the ground with his legs twitching. Authorities then spring into action.  

A crowd of commuters looks at the body on the ground before being cleared out by police. Officers and military guardsmen come upon the body. They see something that appears to alarm them, and then they retreat.

"There might be something in his hand that they're trying to prevent him from activating," said retired FBI agent JJ Klaver, who reviewed the footage with NBC New York. "And then this officer, she steps on him."

He explained that the first responders are trained not to use electronic devices like radios due to the fact that they could trigger an explosive. 

"They can't use their radios in that proximity," he said. "The training is, you're not gonna use your radio or cellphone. You're gonna back away."

The video then shows four Port Authority Police Officers approach the body and make the arrest. The pipe bomb is still adhered to the bomber's body.

"This is a very nerve-wracking situation," said Klaver.

There were only minor injuries from the incident. The most serious injuries were sustained by then 27-year-old Ullah. He suffered burns and other wounds.

Last month, Ullah, a Bangladeshi immigrant, was indicted for material support of a terrorist organization, use of a weapon of mass destruction and four other related counts. He came to America in 2011 and is believed to have self-radicalized three years ago.

The explosive device that was strapped to his body was a crude one fashioned from a pipe, a 9-volt battery and Christmas lights. He allegedly built it according to instructions found on the internet. He faces life in prison and has pleaded not guilty.

[Photo: NY Taxi Commission]

Read more about: