North Carolina police say four children accidentally consumed a relative's marijuana-infused brownies, and have recovered from the incident following a pretty bad trip.
The children are expected to recover after eating brownies that 40-year-old Justin Neal French said he made, according to a Sunday statement by the Iredell County Sheriff's Office. In all, six people unknowingly ate the brownies: Four children and two adults.
A 911 caller said that they noticed their spouse and three of the children showed symptoms of possibly being poisoned. Deputies learned the family had gone to French's home and consumed brownies. Deputies also found a 4-year-old in distress at French's home. Two of the other children who ate the brownies are 6 years old; the fourth is 9.
Police spoke to French, who was present at the home. While talking to him, authorities could allegedly smell a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside the residence, according to WHKY in Hickory, North Carolina.
The adults and children received treatment after consuming the same batch of brownies. The four children were at one point in serious condition, police said, but made a full recovery, according to the Charlotte Observer.
French told deputies the drug-infused brownies were mistaken for regular ones.
The family ate the brownies on Sunday after attending church, according to WSOC-TV in Charlotte.
The children’s grandmother (who didn’t want to be identified) told the station, "This is the most ridiculous thing. They are not drug users. When I saw them I knew they needed medical attention."
French was charged with four counts of misdemeanor child abuse and other offenses. His bond has been set at $300,000.
It's unclear if he has a lawyer.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
[Photo: Iredell County Sheriff’s Office]