Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Trip Or Treat: Parents Sent To Hospital After Eating Meth-Laced Halloween Candy
In nearby Washington state, straight pins were found in Halloween treats as police urge parents to inspect their kids' candy.
Two Oregon parents were taken to the hospital after they unsuspectingly ate meth-laced candy their children had received on Halloween.
The parents allegedly had eaten some of their children's Sour Patch Kids candy on Halloween night and said the package looked fully sealed when they opened it, according to a statement from the Washington County Sheriff's Office.
But, by Thursday, they were feeling sick and contacted authorities. When deputies arrived at the home they tested the candy using a field test and found it had traces of methamphetamine, according to the Tribune Media Wire.
The couple's children had not eaten any of the candy in question. Police confiscated the remaining candy and the parents were taken to the hospital.
The parents are expected to recover, according to The Oregonian.
The sheriff's office hasn't gotten any other reports of tainted candy, the newspaper reports.
However, in the nearby state of Washington, two separate sets of parents reported finding a straight pin in their children's box of Nerds. In each case, the plastic tip on the end of the pin matched the color of the candy, the Omak Police Department said in a statement.
They posted photos of the candy and packaging, which had been recovered in one of the reported incidents.
A similar straight pin was also found in a "Snickers" bar, police said.
"Omak Police Department is taking the situation seriously and an investigation is underway," they said.
Police encouraged parents to carefully inspect their children's candy before anything is consumed.
"If anything suspicious is found please contact the police immediately," Omak police said.
[Photos: Washington County Sheriff's Office/Omak Police Department]