Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Virginia Man Beaten To Death Trying To Save Woman From Sexual Assault, Cops Say

"I was able to reiterate to him multiple times that he's a hero. So at least he heard that multiple times," a witness said of Patricio Saazar, who died at the hospital following a brutal beating in Arlington, Virginia.

By Gina Tron

A Virginai man who stepped in to save a woman from being sexually assaulted was brutally beaten to death by the woman's assailant, according to police.

Michael Nash, 27, allegedly began physically and sexually assaulting a woman he was walking with Thursday night in Arlington, Virginia. That's when Patricio Salazar, 54, tried to come to her rescue, only to become a victim himself, according to a police press release.

Another witness soon showed up and described the scene to WUSA9 in Washington, DC.

“I just heard screaming. Wasn’t saying anything, she was just screaming as loud as she could," witness Brad Flood told WUSA9, referencing the female victim. Flood said he found her, curled up in a ball naked and yelling, as well as a large man near her, who Flood said threatened him.

“I said, 'What is going on,' and that’s when he appeared right there. He was like 'Don’t call the cops. You call the cops, I will end your world.' He came enough into the light that I could see a bunch of blood on his fists,” Flood told WUSA9. “I was like, alright. I was trying to get him away from her and draw him out into the street because I could see cars coming.”

Nash then fled on foot, according to police. But his alleged violent spree was not yet over.

“The suspect came into contact with two additional victims whom he tried to rob of a cell phone,” police wrote. “The victims fought back and the suspect again fled the scene on foot. The suspect then successfully robbed a female victim of her cell phone.”

Meanwhile, Salazar was transported to George Washington University Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Flood said he was still conscious at the scene and he was able to speak to him.

"There was a lot of blood. A lot of blood on his face, his head. I asked if he was okay, he said he was in a lot of pain. He said his back and his head hurt," Flood said. "I was able to reiterate to him multiple times that he's a hero. So at least he heard that multiple times."

Police were able to track Nash down and arrest him. He has been charged with abduction with the intent to defile, forcible sodomy and animate object sexual penetration. Additional charges are forthcoming, according to police. Nash is being held without bond. It’s unclear if he has a lawyer who can speak on his behalf at this time.

Nash and the female victim knew each other, police said.

[Photo: Arlington County Police Department]

Read more about: