Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Scott Baio Won't Face Charges For Allegedly Raping Sitcom Co-Star Nicole Eggert In The 1980s
Prosecutors declined to pursue the case involving the "Charles in Charge" co-stars because the statute of limitations expired.
Scott Baio won’t face criminal prosecution for allegedly raping Nicole Eggert, his co-star in the hit 1980s TV series “Charles in Charge,” the Los Angeles County District Attorney has decided.
“The applicable statute of limitations to the crimes alleged by the victim have expired. Thus, the case is declined,” prosecutors’ charge evaluation sheet says, according to People.com.
At the time of the alleged abuse, prosecution of a sexual assault offence against a minor in California had to begin within 10 years of the alleged incident. While California eliminated the statute of limitations for sex assault on victims under 18 last year, the change is not retroactive.
Eggert, 46, publicly accused Baio in late January, using Twitter to allege that Baio molested her when they starred on the show while she was 14 to 17. Then, during an appearance on “Megyn Kelly Today,” Eggert alleged the sexual abuse “happened quite often” at Baio’s house — more than 10 times and about once a week, she said.
Eggert reported the abuse to police in February. According to prosecutors’ charge evaluation sheet, she said she was sexually assaulted on four occasions, starting in 1986, when she was 16, to 1989, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Baio has repeatedly denied that he assaulted Eggert, Tweeting that her allegations are “100% lies.”
In late January, Baio appeared on “Good Morning America” and again denied Eggert’s allegations: “She lied at the time. I’m trying to figure out which time she’s lying and which time she’s not lying because the story seems to change quite a bit and I can’t keep up with it quite honestly.”
Baio did, however, admit to having had one consensual encounter with Eggert when she was 18, after “Charles in Charge” was over. “She aggressively sought me out, because she wanted me to be her first, so that she would be good for her boyfriend, those were her words,” Baio said on GMA.
On Monday, after prosecutors informed her of their decision not to prosecute Baio, Eggert tweeted, “Wait for it…dismissed on Statutes of Limitation…NEVER bcz of LACK OF EVIDENCE!! Case closed molester @scottbaio.”
A second Eggert tweet said: “Dismissed due to Statute of Limitation = GUILTY. Period.”
Baio’s attorney did not respond to a request for comment.