Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Man Arrested After Allegedly Threatening To Bomb Housing Facility For People With HIV

Scott Wayne Smith of Portland, Oregon “threatened to bomb the building and to kill ‘all you people,'" one witness said. 

By Eric Shorey

A man in Portland, Oregon was arrested after allegedly threatening to bomb a facility that houses people living with HIV.

Scott Wayne Smith was arrested on Aug. 13 on an intimidation charge, according to KATU2, a Portland, Oregon-based news organization. An investigation into the incident began that day after residents of the building called to inform police that a neighbor had threatened to blow up their home.

Smith allegedly issued the threats after asking two residents sitting on the stoop of the building for a cigarette. He became enraged when they ignored his request and “threatened to bomb the building and to kill ‘all you people,'" ostensibly referring to the gay male population of the apartment complex, a resident told KATU2.

In an affidavit signed by Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney Melissa Marrero, Smith is accused of using homophobic slurs before issuing the threats, according to CBS17, a Portland, Oregon-based CBS affiliate. The resident who reported the threat said to police that “he was afraid, did not feel safe with the neighbor living so close, and that he believed that Smith would do what he said.” 

Residents say they've had problems with Smith in the past.

"A lot of times he'll be out there skateboarding and shaking his head," said Donnie Blodgett, who lives in the building, told KATU2. "All kinds of weird stuff. Half naked," saying things like, "'I'm gonna get you, set your house on fire.'"

Wade Jorgenson, another resident, echoed the complaints about Smith.

"When I walked by the hedge where he lives, he was saying all kinds of hate stuff about [expletive], and they should all die. Just really awful stuff," Jorgenson said to KATU2.

Smith was arraigned on Aug. 14 and will appear in court in September. He has pleaded not guilty to the crime, according to to CBS17. He potentially faces up to a year in jail if found guilty of intimidation.

[Photo: Multnomah County Jail]

Read more about: