Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Second Suspect Arrested In Shooting Of Ex-Red Sox Star David Ortiz
Authorities in the Dominican Republic confirmed the arrest but offered few other details as Ortiz recovers from the attack after being flown to Boston.
A second suspect has been taken into custody in the Dominican Republic after former Boston Red Sox player David Ortiz was brazenly shot in the back at a crowded bar Sunday night.
A spokeswoman for the national prosecutor’s office in the Dominican Republic confirmed to reporters Tuesday night through WhatsApp that a second person had been arrested in the shooting, but did not provide any further details about the suspect’s alleged involvement, according to The Associated Press. There is no information released publicly to suggest that he was the suspected shooter.
Shortly after the shooting, one suspect was taken into custody after he was stopped and attacked by those in the crowd at the Dial Bar and Lounge, where the shooting took place. Eddy Feliz Garcia is now facing charges of attempted homicide, criminal association and intentionally causing injury through use of an illegal firearm, ABC News reports.
Garcia allegedly confessed to playing a role in the shooting but has maintained that he was not the shooter. His attorney Bunel Ramirez Meran said that Garcia is being accused of driving the motorcycle that carried the shooter. He has maintained that his client is innocent.
As police make progress in the investigation, Ortiz, affectionately known by fans as “Big Papi,” is also making progress in his recovery.
“David arrived at Massachusetts General Hospital last night and underwent a successful second surgery,” his wife Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement. “He is stable, awake, and resting comfortably this morning in the ICU where he is expected to remain for the next several days.”
Ortiz was flown to Boston Monday night after initially undergoing a surgery in the Dominican Republic in which a portion of his intestines and his gallbladder were removed.
After undergoing a second exploratory surgery, Ortiz was said to be taking his first steps Tuesday since being shot in the back, ESPN reports.
His media assistant Leo Lopez also told the media outlet that Ortiz has spoken with his family and “even flashed that smile” since arriving in Boston.
Ortiz was shot at nearly point-blank range about 8:50 p.m. Sunday night while he was at a popular bar with friends. Two others were also reportedly wounded during the incident, including Dominican TV host Jhoel Lopez. Lopez was hit in the leg by the same bullet that injured Ortiz.
The third victim has not been identified.
At Boston’s Fenway Park Monday, where Ortiz played for 14 seasons as a Red Sox, the team held a moment of reflection for the slugger as fans held up letters that spelled out Ortiz’s name. Many also wore jerseys with his number.
Former teammate Pedro Martinez, who also grew up in the Dominican Republic, became emotional when discussing Ortiz on an MLB Network broadcast Monday.
“I don’t have enough words to describe who David is, what David means to baseball,” he said after breaking down in tears. “But I’m so disappointed to know that someone like David, who saved so many lives, can have someone after his life. And I’m sorry. I’m sorry. But it hurts me. It hurts me.”
Ortiz, who played major league baseball for 20 seasons before retiring in 2016, helped lead the Boston Red Sox to three World Series championships.