Redmond O'Neal, the troubled son of actors Ryan O'Neal and Farrah Fawcett, is the prime suspect in a seemingly random and violent crime spree across Los Angeles, police say.
Police believe O'Neal attacked five men — leaving two with serious injuries — in separate incidents that occurred between May 2 and May 5. O'Neal strongly matches the description of the suspect provided by the eye witness accounts in all five attacks, officials said.
"There were distinct tattoos that were identified by all the victims," LAPD Sgt. Scotty Steven told KABC, an ABC station in Los Angeles. He added that O'Neal's red hair color also matched witness descriptions.
Officials charged O'Neal, 33, Friday with attempted murder, two counts of assault with a deadly weapon, criminal threats, brandishing a knife and battery in connection with the crimes.
The motive for the attacks is unknown.
"They all seem to be random," Steven told KABC. "It appears, though, based on what we know now that it just started as an argument between unknown persons and quickly escalated with the violent acts."
On Monday, police released the following timeline and description of the attacks:
- The crime spree began on May 2 around 8 p.m., when a male with red hair and tattoos became angry after a man "appeared to look at him," police said. The suspect proceeded to punch the victim before trying to unsuccessfully to hit the man, who suffered minor injuries to the face, with a broken glass bottle. The suspect then left the scene.
- Another attack occurred on May 3 around 3:30 a.m. outside a convenience store. Police said the male victim talked with the suspect before he became angry and "repeatedly punched the victim in his head and threw him to the ground." The victim sustained minor injuries, they said.
- Around 5 p.m. on May 4, the suspect was walking near Venice Beach boardwalk when another man "looked at the suspect," who then stabbed him with a knife. The victim suffered a "serious stab wound" to the left side of his body, police said.
- Later, around 8:45 p.m. that same night, several people found a man laying in a pool of blood with stab wounds to his face and upper body. Police said the victim was walking to his car before being attacked. Surveillance video showed a white male suspect walking away from the scene of the crime shortly after the people came across the victim, who suffered serious stab wounds and cuts to the face, neck and upper body.
- The final incident occurred on May 5 at approximately 4 p.m. inside a coffee shop. The suspect "became belligerent," and when a male employee tried to confront him, they got into an argument. The suspect then pulled out a knife and lunged at the employee before leaving the scene.
All five incidents occurred near the Venice Beach and Palm neighborhoods.
O'Neal, who has had other drug and legal troubles, was already being held by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department in connection with a May 8 armed robbery in a 7-Eleven store.
After that arrest, O'Neal told RadarOnline.com many of his problems have stemmed from his famous parents and the fame that has surrounded him most of his life.
"It's not the drugs that have been a problem, it's the psychological trauma of my entire life — my whole life experiences that have affected me the most," O'Neal told RadarOnline.com.
He pointed to fights with his father, living on the streets, previous jail time and time in a psychiatric ward as evidence of his difficult life.
"The pressure that came with that set off a time-bomb in my head," he told the website. "I never asked for any of this, I never wanted any attention."
[Photo: Los Angeles Police Department]