Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

‘Jealous’ Ex Arrested In Connection With Spa Bombing That Killed Woman

Ildiko Krajnyak opened up a cardboard box inside her California spa, triggering a blast that killed her instantly. Her ex-boyfriend Stephen Beal is now in custody.

By Gina Tron

A California man has been arrested in connection to a spa bombing last year that killed his ex-girlfriend and injured two others after a painstaking analysis linked explosive remnants to him, his home and car, federal prosecutors said Monday.

Stephen Beal, 59, had been arrested shortly after the bombing last year, but explosives charges were dropped and he was freed when prosecutors questioned whether material found at his home constituted a “destructive device.” Further testing and investigation led to Beal’s re-arrest Sunday on suspicion of malicious destruction of a building that included a death, a charge that can carry a life sentence.

The May 15 bombing killed Ildiko Krajnyak, 48, and seriously wounded two female clients when she opened a box that erupted in a fiery explosion at her spa, Magyar Kozmetika, located in the city of Aliso Viejo, about 50 miles south of Los Angeles.

“This was a horrific intentional attack that killed an innocent woman and severely injured two others,” U.S. Attorney Nick Hanna said at a news conference.

Authorities suspect Beal, a partner in the salon, delivered the bomb to the business while Krajnyak was visiting family in Hungary.

Krajnyak had returned from that trip and had just finished treating a mother and daughter, who were at the front desk when she opened the cardboard box that exploded.

Ildiko Krajnyak

The blast knocked the two customers off their feet and the older woman told police it lit “everything on fire.”

First responders thought they were dealing with a car bombing or gas main rupture, said Paul Delacourt, the FBI’s assistant director in charge of the Los Angeles office.

The explosion blew out a big chunk of the building and body parts were found in the parking lot.

Investigators found two improvised explosive devices, three firearms and more than 100 pounds of explosive material during a search Beal allowed of his Long Beach house following the blast.

Beal, a model rocket hobbyist, denied making bombs and said then he did not have material for an explosion as powerful as the one he saw on television, according to court records.

Over nine months, investigators were able to make the case by piecing together fragments from the bomb they could connect to Beal, including a battery, a wire and boxes similar to the one that contained the deadly bomb. The FBI declared that there was “no meaningful differences” between some wire recovered from the crime scene and wire found inside a homemade device found at Beal’s home, according to a press release from the United States Attorney's Office in Central California. Investigators also claim that Beal purchased a battery consistent with a partially destroyed battery found at the blast one week before the attack in addition to buying cardboard boxes very similar to the box his ex opened right before the bomb went off.

“While the victim had expressed fears about Mr. Beal and he possessed material that could be used to manufacture a bomb, it was forensic evidence collected at the scene, analyzed and pieced together into a coherent whole that allowed us to file this case,” Hanna said.

Delacourt detailed how investigators and personnel at the agency’s Quantico, Virginia, lab were able to connect Beal to internal components of a battery found 10 days after the blast.

The battery part was traced to a specific shipment that arrived in the U.S. from China and ended up in a store near Beal’s home. Video showed Beal paying cash for that type of battery. Investigators were able to eliminate others who bought those batteries from suspicion.

“This was the exhaustiveness of the effort,” Delacourt said.

Beal was ordered detained after a brief appearance in Santa Ana federal court.

He did not enter a plea and is scheduled for arraignment March 25. His lawyer declined to comment.

Outside court, Irene White, a friend of Krajnyak’s family, said they continue to grieve her death and hope a conviction brings justice.

In Beal’s neighborhood, Steve Young said he did not think his friend was capable of harming anyone.

“I don’t feel that he’s the type of person that would do this sort of thing,” he said

Beal and Krajnyak split up, but remained business partners at the spa where she was a licensed cosmetologist.

Beal told investigators during a voluntary interview that the romance “cooled” in early 2018, according to an affidavit in support of the arrest.

Krajnyak had told friends she was afraid of Beal after he made threats following their breakup. Beal told investigators he felt betrayed when she told him she was in a relationship with another man, Hanna said.

“Beal stated he took a trip with Krajnyak to Portugal during which Krajnyak admitted to Beal that she was in an intimate relationship with another man from Northern California,” the affidavit said. “Beal stated he was hurt and betrayed when Krajnyak told him this.”

That arrest affidavit, cited by the United States Attorney's Office, states that friends said Beal “was jealous, controlling, and possessive of her [Krajnyak]” and “she was scared because he would threaten her.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

[Photo: Facebook]

Read more about: