Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

Survivalist Charged In Mysterious Death Of Father Shot While Camping With His Two Young Daughters

Authorities believe Anthony Rauda has been terrorizing the Malibu State Creek Park area for years, shooting at random visitors and robbing nearby homes and businesses.

By Jill Sederstrom

A survivalist has been charged killing a man while he was camping with his young daughters, along with a series of other crimes that terrorized visitors of the Malibu State Creek Park.

Anthony Rauda, 42, is now facing one count of murder, 10 counts of attempted murder and five counts of second-degree burglary for the crimes, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County District Attorney.

Prosecutors allege that Rauda shot Tristan Beaudette, 35, a chemist from Irvine, on June 18 while he slept in a tent with his daughters, ages 2 and 4, on a camping trip to the state park. The two young girls were not hurt, but are considered attempted murder victims in the charges filed against Rauda.

The shocking death came after a series of crimes in the area dating back to November 2016 that prosecutors now believe Rauda is responsible for.

According to the criminal compliant obtained by KTLA, Rauda is accused of shooting and injuring a man on Nov. 3, 2016, then just days later on Nov. 9 prosecutors say he opened fire on a man sleeping in a hammock, also wounding him.

Over the next two years, he’s accused of shooting at multiple other parkgoers, including shooting at a Tesla in the area.

Just four days before Beaudette was killed, Rauda is accused of trying to kill another man, the local station reports.

Authorities say Rauda was a survivalist who lived off of stolen food and often slept outside. He was arrested in October near the park, while carrying a rifle in his backpack, according to the Associated Press.

At the time he was discovered, authorities had been searching for an armed burglar believed to be responsible for a series of home and business robberies. He was taken into custody on a probation violation and was sentenced to nearly a year in jail.

Authorities were then able to link him to Beaudette’s death and the string of other crimes.

Rauda is being held on a $1.1 million bail and is scheduled for his next arraignment on Jan. 23, CBS LA reports.

Residents in the area were relieved to hear the news of Rauda’s arrest.

“Things are back to normal hopefully, and (we don’t) have to worry about some guy in the hills hunting people,” Joey Medaglia told KTLA. “It’s pretty scary to be honest.”

[Photo: Facebook]

Read more about: