Oxygen Insider Exclusive!

Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!

Sign Up for Free to View
Crime News Breaking News

New Dad Shot While Walking Home After Visiting Newborn Twins, Dies In Same Hospital Next To His Babies

"From everything I've heard from nurses and everything, they're going to be some strong, little twins," a community activist said after the death of Tyrese Garvin. "(But) they don't have a daddy no more. He's gone."

By Jill Sederstrom

A Kentucky father who was shot after visiting his newborn twins in the hospital died Friday as he laid beside the children he will never get to watch grow.

Tyrese Garvin, 20, was shot June 23 as he was walking home from the University of Louisville Hospital after visiting his week-old twins, a boy and a girl, in what police believe was a random act of violence, according to local station WLKY.

He was shot multiple times, with bullets striking his head and body, WAVE-TV reports.

The new father was brought to the same hospital where his premature twins remained hospitalized, but he’d later be taken off life support.

The twins' mother decided to move the infants from the maternity ward up to the ICU unit of the hospital, so they could be with their father before he died, community activist and family representative Christopher 2X told The Courier Journal.

"From everything I've heard from nurses and everything, they're going to be some strong, little twins," he said Saturday. "(But) they don't have a daddy no more. He's gone."

Garvin died around 3 p.m. Friday after being removed from life support.

Tyrese Garvin

Police arrested three male teenagers, ranging in age from 14 to 17 years old, who are accused of shooting Garvin.

2X announced the fundraiser Let the Kids Grow for the family on Saturday.

“We want to stock this mother up for, hopefully, the next six months to a year with items because this father won’t be working to GE to support them the way that we wanted to,” he said, according to WLKY. “(Garvin) was so excited to (work) in regards to being so joyful about their birth.”

A GoFundMe page was set up to raise money for Garvin's family. 

"Tyrese was a beautiful soul who would do anything in the world to help someone.  He was full of energy and life and had a contagious smile," the page reads.

Garvin’s grandmother, Kathleen Roberts, called his death a “senseless” act of violence.

“It’s just a hard impact for me because I know I’ll never see him walk through that door and act silly with me anymore, but this is just so senseless,” she told WAVE-TV.

Another grandmother, Cleatra Garvin, called for the end of a disturbing trend of violence that has rocked the community in recent months.

“They’ve taken some of my life with them,” she said. “I just tell them to stop. Stop the violence.”

Read more about: