Create a free profile to get unlimited access to exclusive videos, breaking news, sweepstakes, and more!
Wrongful Death Suit Resolved Against Teen Who Encouraged Her Boyfriend To Commit Suicide
Teenager Michelle Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter for texting her boyfriend to go through with his suicide attempt.
The wrongful death lawsuit filed against a woman who encouraged her boyfriend to die by suicide in a series of text messages has been “resolved," according to an attorney for the victim’s mother.
Lynn Roy had filed a $4.2 million wrongful death lawsuit against Michelle Carter after her teenage son, Conrad Roy III, took his own life in 2014 shortly after receiving a series of text messages from Carter urging him to do so, MassLive reports.
Lynn Roy’s attorney, Eric Goldman, has confirmed that the suit has been resolved but declined to say whether any settlement had been reached in the case.
“All I can tell you is that the case has been resolved and that a stipulation of dismissal was filed in court,” Goldman said in an email to the news organization.
The suit was dismissed with prejudice in the Norfolk Superior Court earlier this week after both parties agreed to the legal move. The “with prejudice” stipulation prevents Roy from being able to file another case with the same claim, according to The Boston Herald.
Carter was sent to prison in February to begin her 15-month-sentence after she was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in 2017.
Conrad Roy, who was 18, killed himself by filling his pickup truck with carbon monoxide while he was parked in a Kmart lot on July 12, 2014.
The teen, who had previous suicide attempts, started to have second thoughts about taking his life and got out of the vehicle, but Carter told him in a text message that he should “get back in.”
The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court rejected her appeal of the conviction in February. She had argued through her attorneys that the text messages and cellphone calls between the pair had been forms of free speech.